us divers regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rabbitears

Reaction score
the regulator im refering to is the conshelf 21..sorry about that...anyone whos used this reg please reply to how good a reg it is..thanks again for those who answered earlier..the boards other bunny

The Conshelfs are bulletproof, almost. The first stage of this model may still have the old style high pressure poppet but it probably has one of the newer types. This was a transition period. The old poppets will leak if the tiniest bit of grit or a sliver of chrome gets under the seat. The really old Conshelfs had poppets with neoprene seats which did not hold up with high pressure, they would delaminate. This just means that the regulator, like all older models should be inspected. The tech might need to install a new, updated poppet and some other bits and pieces. However, before deciding, you can take a look at the copper filter. If it is shiny clean, the regulator 1st stg may be good to go. The extra ports on the reg use industry accepted thread sizes for modern HP gauges and LP attachments, no problem there.

I don't particularly like metal second stages. They are a trifle heavy. However, if the mouthpiece, diaphragm and exhaust valve of the regulator are not stiff or checked and the unit breaths OK on the surface, it should be useable. This is easy to examine by removing a clamp. The Conshelf 21 "select" had a plastic 2nd stg. I'm not sure about the other versions. Same remarks apply.

The Conshelf 21 is a competent regulator in that it will deliver adequate air for recreational diving purposes. I've used them and they breath fine. Don't misinterpret the technical remarks above, a Conshelf in good condition will give years of service.

They are adequate performers. They have gone through several evolutions over the years, making them easier to service, which is why I REALLY like them. I owned one that was 13 years old until I swapped it for some parts. Still have the octo, which works just fine.

Inspect the plating on all 1st stage areas. If any plating is gone, it is not servicable. Check for small spider vein cracks in plastic around 2nd stage inlet valve. It's easy to see on yellow, but with black plastic, use some soapy water on it to identify cracking. I believe they will replace them for free still.

These regs have been around a long time. A testament to their design.

Back
Top Bottom