Us Divers Twin Tank Yoke repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JEScholz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have an old US Divers twin tank yoke with a "J" valve that is leaking through the valve stem. The unit is so old that on one wants to work on it so the prior owner tried to rebuild it himself. Does anyone have a parts breakdown so that I can make sure that I reassemble it correctly when I try to rebuild itmyself?

I have a complete one that works I believe in the attic. It could be yours for $30 plus shipping.. Don't make me ask why your are messing with old gear.........

I have bands for 72 steel doubles too up there

dumpsterDiver:
I have a complete one that works I believe in the attic. It could be yours for $30 plus shipping.. Don't make me ask why your are messing with old gear.........

I have bands for 72 steel doubles too up there

Would the bands be the military harness type, if they are I might be interested in them.

I had one of those old US Divers J-valve twin manifolds. I threw it out instead on selling it on eBay - I figured some knucklehead might actually go out and dive it. Do yourself a favor and junk yours unless it just sits in the den.
You can also mount it stems down on a piece of wood and use it as the basis of a cool desk set with a nice pen.

Why junk it if it can be rebuilt? What is wrong with older gear if it is maintained well?

what type of answers are these???

valve "technology" has not improved that greatly that this can not be rebuilt...

I hate answers like this.

Junk, I beg to differ. There are a lot of us diving the old gear. My 50+ yo gear is going strong- including a 61 double manifold, bet you plastic wonder will not be diving in 50 years.

Betail, you can find the info you need here. Vintage Scuba - Vintage Scuba Gear at Vintage Double Hose click "manuals and catalogs" then US Divers. You can find what you need there.

I teach a valve repair class, and I would offer you $15 plus shipping for it for a training aid. My shop could also rebuild it if you want, it would be around $30 plus shipping. Only thing is, we are relocating so I couldnt get it done until the movers give me my stuff back sometime around the beginning of August. Also, I could rebuld all of it but the J-valve mechanisum. It is hard to find replacements for that. Aqualung still has some NOS J-Valve Mechanisums in inventory, but they are cost prohibitive (around $100 each) last time I checked. Email me at tanktest@gmail.com if intrested.
Myles

Valve design has not changed much for the past 40 to 50 years. But the seat design did change in the 60's, so if the valve seat is bad you may have to get one from one of the vintage guys.

If the valve is leaking from the valve stem, all you need to do is change the valve packing and maybe an o-ring. Go to the Vintage double hose web site and click on Manuals & Catalogs
Then click on Continue
Then click on US Divers Manuals, testing etc, (7th from the bottom)

You most likely have a J62 doubles manual, look over the powerpoint slide presentation and you should be set to dig into it. There is not much to replace, one seat, the blow out plug, and a few common sized O-rings

BTW, did anyone notice that this thread is from 2006?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom