Use my DSLR or buy a compact for underwater use??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The kit lens, 14-42mm, is actually fairly versatile. You won't get true macro or true WA with it but it touches the edges of both realms nicely. Here are two photos I took while on a dive. You'll have to forgive the lousy strobe placement but I was just trying out the camera's focus and speed and wasn't real concerned with quality at the point I took these.

The seahorse was taken at 42mm and then slightly cropped. The tangs are a good example of the capability of the WA side of the lens. Again while neither picture is a true macro or true WA, the lens itself will cover what I had with a P&S without the addon lenses. I also just found out I can throw the 50mm macro lens in the port I have so that should enhance the macro.

by chance , do you have any photos with the 350??.TIA..........

sure - however please view with the following as a "disclaimer"! this was my first trip underwater or anywhere with this camera and while I do feel comfortable with it now I did a poor job of setting white balance so there was a bit of post processing needed and these for the most part didn't turn out like I had hoped. But, it was my first time and I really do like the camera. however I'm sure I need to augment things with a strobe and more time UW!!

byteme45/Vacation/PDC 2007/diving - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I just got a quote for a Sea & Sea D300 housing/strobe system with EVERYTHING I require to accommodate a Tokina 10-17 Fisheye, a Nikon 105mmVR macro and a Sigma 18-50 F2.8 Macro.....right down to the Lens gears/TTL converter, etc....

Now, I only need one additional strobe as I already have one YS-110 strobe for my DX-1G compact camera. The quote was US$7200. Does not include the camera and lenses.....which will cost appox $3600 if you have to buy it.

I am seriously considering it as I plan to upgrade my DSLR to a D300 anyway.......what turns me off is the long list of stuff I have to lug around on international flights in addition to my dive gear! I suppose if the diving was at my backdoor, it would be a no brainer. A lot to spend, but lots of diving to put it to good use and no travel hassle.

If I don't make the leap, I may just get a second strobe anyway and continue to polish my novice skills on the fully manual DX-1G and continue to learn to shoot without TTL. There are of course limitations but I don't think the gear makes a photographer....just look at the shots Ed D Man comes out with with his G9! He is the master of macro and it's all done with a high end PnS! I can only hope to get as good as him on ANY camera....here are some of my better shots taken on one dive trip with my DX-1G, one strobe and in some cases an add on WA lens;

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...sea-dx-1g-sipadan-mabul-kapalai-malaysia.html

If you decide on the DSLR think of the Ikelite housing as the Olympus housing has plastic bulkhead for the sync and you will cross thread at some point and there are no spares at all. With Ike you have all the spares and the experience and backup to boot.

If you decide on the DSLR think of the Ikelite housing as the Olympus housing has plastic bulkhead for the sync and you will cross thread at some point and there are no spares at all. With Ike you have all the spares and the experience and backup to boot.

Actually you can take the bulkhead off of another Olympus housing and there are plenty of older ones for sale on Ebay. However, you're right they're not nearly as solid as the other manufacturers.

Have you had a look at seaoptics.com.au? If you're based downunder, see what they can do. I just got my ike set-up last week for the E410. Still trying to get to grips with it on land....before getting wet in Mabul next week. I prefer the Oly housing, but it's hard to get all the other stuff here in Malaysia, so Ikelite was the easiest - but NOT cheapest - option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom