Used drysuit buying - bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not afraid to pee off the back of the boat during surface intervals or just before the first dive. I'm not a tech diver (yet?) so I'm never under for more than an hour. All of that being said, I was turned off by the word "catheter". I assumed that meant internal insertion. I didn't realize there was an external option. This intrigues me but I'm still on the fence without doing dives over an hour. Thank you for that and the vote of confidence for the plastic zip. Having tried on a suit with a brass zipper, I can see where the flexibility and easy of movement from a plastic zipper would be a good thing.

Be glad you’re not a gal. Look up the She-P. It’s arts and crafts time when we go to put it on. Lotsa glue. I also use Rock Tape to help keep it on. Can you imagine a guy using Rock Tape on his nether regions? Ain’t gonna happen! :D The Rock Tape is more comfortable than the two thong undies (one on each side) the manufacturer recommends (wedgies are uncomfortable while diving!)

Be glad you’re not a gal. Look up the She-P. It’s arts and crafts time when we go to put it on. Lotsa glue. I also use Rock Tape to help keep it on. Can you imagine a guy using Rock Tape on his nether regions? Ain’t gonna happen! :D The Rock Tape is more comfortable than the two thong undies (one on each side) the manufacturer recommends (wedgies are uncomfortable while diving!)
I know it's even worse for women! I'd forgo the whole thing for sure.

I've purchased two used compressed neoprene suits mid-2000's (both were DUI) that were born in the 90's. Both were quite rugged, and the only problems were things like seals and zipper. Zero problems with the neoprene itself.

Wrist and neck seals are easy to repair (in hindsight), I never worked up the confidence to do the zipper though. It can be done.

Regarding the pee valve. Get it. If you're hooked on during a boat dive, just hop into the water on your surface internal for relief. If you're diving, just go. So easy, no gymnastics.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom