Used drysuit worth it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello I wanted some others opinions on my situation. I have been looking to buy an apollo 4.0 neoprene drysuit for the past couple of weeks. They retail for like 1700 and from what I have heard are pretty tough and a good budget beginners drysuit. I have been keeping an eye out for used and I have found one for 500 and the guy has nearly my exact build. It has a hole in one of the neoprene wrist seals and has about 100 dives on it. Is this suit worth buying?

You'll likely get several opinions about buying used gear, and arguments about life support equipment etc. I'm firmly in the camp of supporting the purchase of used gear, especially gear which can be serviced an returned to great condition. First thing though, age is not mentioned here, but age is definitely a factor with neoprene as rubber can decay over time and use, but generally a good quality dry suit should last 10 years plus, longer depending on how much use it gets and how its cared for.
On the damaged wrist seal, fortunately wrist and neck seals can be replaced, but factor that into your cost. If the one seal is damaged, check out the other wrist seal and neck seal, too. For me personally, I would really prefer to try it on rather than buy it sight unseen, even if the owner is "nearly my exact build." I'm picky that way, but just because someone is my same height and weight may not mean they have the same waist, thigh, or chest size I do. For example, if your thighs happen to be thicker than his, when you're pulling the legs on, could be tight once you add undergarments. If it's sight unseen, maybe you can ask for those measurements too.

To your question, is it worth it for $500? I think age and how much it's going to cost to replace the seals give you your answer. We take them at their word that it has 100 dives, which is fine, but if the suit is 30 years old, no, not worth it. If the suit is 5 years old or less, and the zipper and valves are good and clean, totally worth it! I replace my own seals now, but check out how much it costs to have the seals done and see if that's in your budget also.

You'll likely get several opinions about buying used gear, and arguments about life support equipment etc. I'm firmly in the camp of supporting the purchase of used gear, especially gear which can be serviced an returned to great condition. First thing though, age is not mentioned here, but age is definitely a factor with neoprene as rubber can decay over time and use, but generally a good quality dry suit should last 10 years plus, longer depending on how much use it gets and how its cared for.
On the damaged wrist seal, fortunately wrist and neck seals can be replaced, but factor that into your cost. If the one seal is damaged, check out the other wrist seal and neck seal, too. For me personally, I would really prefer to try it on rather than buy it sight unseen, even if the owner is "nearly my exact build." I'm picky that way, but just because someone is my same height and weight may not mean they have the same waist, thigh, or chest size I do. For example, if your thighs happen to be thicker than his, when you're pulling the legs on, could be tight once you add undergarments. If it's sight unseen, maybe you can ask for those measurements too.

To your question, is it worth it for $500? I think age and how much is going to cost to replace the seals give you your answer. We take them at their word that it has 100 dives, which is fine, but if the suit is 30 years old, no, not worth it. If the suit is 5 years old or less, and the zipper and valves are good and clean, totally worth it! I replace my own seals now, but check out how much it costs to have the seals done and see if that's in your budget also.
Thanks for the information. After further questioning I found that the suit is 3 years old, the zipper is in good condition, and the valves seem to work well. Will also certainly try on when I meet this guy. I think I’ll go for it!

I bought a used neoprene suit that was almost my size. I dove it for a few years. Then I bought a M2M suit. When it's made for you, it's a different dive. I could dive with my old suit. Nothing wrong with it, but it's nowhere near as comfortable. The new suit feels like I'm wearing pajamas underwater. Not too tight, not too loose. I paid $1200. Looking back I sort of wish I would have saved the $300 on a used suit and just bought the new suit. That's where I ended up anyway.

Just my experience. Good luck!

A used suit can be a good deal, if it fits and isn’t to old and it’s a good way to find out that diving wet in the eastern pacific is nuts.

if money is not a problem and it fits go for it, and next order a Seaskin made to fit you for not much more than this used suit is costing you, in the 3 month wait you’ll get used to diving dry so when the new one arrives you’ll be ready to know how much better M2M is, and you’ll have a back up suit.

I've purchased two used drysuits. One turned out to be completely falling apart, an undivable piece of junk that I lost hundreds of dollars on. The second was dirt cheap, amazing, and lasted for years completely trouble free.

It's a crapshoot.

Its easier if you have the experience to really know what to look for and make any DIY repairs necessary, but that's unfortunately impossible for a newbie trying to save a few bucks buying their first suit. Always try on before buying and leak test if you can.

Its easier if you have the experience to really know what to look for and make any DIY repairs necessary, but that's unfortunately impossible for a newbie trying to save a few bucks buying their first suit. Always try on before buying and leak test if you can.
I agree with this 100%. I learned a lot with a used suit, was able to modify it (dry gloves and P valve added), and repair it. I learned what I wanted in a suit and what it was like to dive a suit that wasn't a perfect fit. So it wasn't a total loss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom