Used Gates and cam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjdm

Reaction score
I've been looking for my first video setup and was wondering what you all thought of the package below. I have some reservations about buying used but since Gates is mechanical even if this housing was flooded it should still work. My other reservation is size. I'm looking for an afordable package but as small as possible. Quality still matters but if I don't take the camera b/c it's too much of a pain to haul then it defeats the purpose. One last question, how do the brand new top of the line digital cameras that also record mpeg4 or comparable video compare.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gates-PDX10-Und...ryZ50506QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks

3ccd camera is a good idea. Not sure why there are two housings or am I missing something? As always remember that when the camera goes south, you will probably throw the housing away.

I think it comes down to the reserve price. The SWP25 port is $2700 retail so if what he infers is true, his reserve s/b less than that. According to the listing it was never flooded. And you're looking at $600 to $2700 more for a port that will work.

It won't be the smallest housing since the PDX-10 is built on the TRV-950 chassis. Similar in size to an HDR-FX7 if you have those in stores in your area now - but a little shorter and thicker. btw, the mic and the XLR contoller are removed before it goes in the housing.

It's bigger than an HC series camera/housing combo. But possibly still able to be carried on. B&H has the housing at 11x11x6 and I think the handles come off.

It's also only for that camera - or the TRV-950 since all the levers, buttons etc. are setup for that. So if the camera fails (or gets wet) you're likely selling the housing for whatever you can get.

One last question, how do the brand new top of the line digital cameras that also record mpeg4 or comparable video compare.
Compared to what? The best HC series MiniDV, single CMOS HDV or the FX7/V1U?

It's also not HiDef. But it does do broadcast quality using Sony's proprietary DVCam format. Reviewed here. It's basically a pro version of the TRV-950 - with mostly improvements on the sound side, the imaging is exactly the same.

I saw that auction before you posted it, my first reaction was that would've been something I'd have considered - two or three years ago. But I think the recent availability of HD/HDV cameras relegates it to a prosumer has-been.

My personal opinion - you're better off with an FX7 or even an HDR-HC7. The resolution will be superior. 3CCD is going to fade away, the newer cameras are 3CMOS(lower power consumption)

Not that you'll get an FX7 for what he's probably selling both for.

But you can house an HC7 in the $2000-2500 range including the camera. And it'll be much smaller to travel with. If it's for you, your friends, burning a few DVD's, even HD-DVD's, I'd go with the newer technology.

crpntr133:
Not sure why there are two housings or am I missing something?
You are, the housing breaks in the middle. :)

I think the Sony HC3 and the Gates housing is perfect....now all I need is an extrat 3k to 5k and I'm all set.

Think the HC3 is discontinued now. The replacement is either the HC5 or HC7. But I agree although my preference would be L&M or Amphibico.

Port options for the PDX10/950 housing include:

Flat port, $115
Dome port, $115
W/A port, $580

There are other more expensive ports that will work, but they are meant for HD camcorders. That pricing BTW is from B&H.

I used to own a Gates housing and Sony TRV900. The setup you are considering is the newer version of mine. While it is larger than the HC-3,5,7, it is much smaller than the FX7. I know, I own an FX7. Gates still lists information on the PDX10/950 housing on their website. http://www.gateshousings.com/TRV-950.html

You will get very nice footage but it won't be HD. Whether or not you should buy this setup is pretty much dependent on price and how much you are willing to spend. HD is nice, but will probably cost you $2k+ for a basic cam+housing that doesn't have controls like exposure, white balance, focus, ND filter, etc. If you want HD and the same controls, be prepared to spend $5k-$6k.

ronrosa:
Port options for the PDX10/950 housing include:

Flat port, $115
Dome port, $115
W/A port, $580

There are other more expensive ports that will work, but they are meant for HD camcorders. That pricing BTW is from B&H.

I didn't see the first two, just priced the model#'s listed in the auction. What are the first two - plain glass?

Edit: Forget it, found them...

I used my flat port 90% of the time in the Caribbean.

I checked out the Sanyo Xacti HD1A at Ritz Camera yesterday. It's really small and seems to take pretty good video even in low light. The snapshots were also impressive. I'm still considering this cam with the Epoche housing. I know it doesn't compare to the HC7 and a Gates housing but at less than $1500 do you think it's a good starter?

Back
Top Bottom