Used Petrel vs Peregrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OctopusLover

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm seeing very good deals on used 1st gen Petrels, to the point they cost the same as used Peregrines. Which would you buy as a 1st computer and why?

A Peregrine, because that's what it is designed for. Petrels are made for rebreather divers. If you are looking at your first computer, then you are a long, long way from diving a rebreather. No need for the extra bulk and connectors of a Petrel, you won't get anything out of it. If you ever find yourself going down the rebreather road, you will not be worrying about whether or not you saved like $300 or $500 on a used Petrel several years back, the new equipment and training is going to cost on the order of $10000.

A Peregrine, because that's what it is designed for. Petrels are made for rebreather divers. If you are looking at your first computer, you are a long, long way from diving a rebreather. No need for the extra bulk and connectors of a Petrel, you won't get anything out of it.
...A large chunk of Petrels are not Petrel EXTs and thus have no external connectors. They are referred to as "Standalone."

—Screen resolution differences
—User replaceable battery in Petrel
—Peregrine is smaller interface, weighs less
—Peregrine has ~30hr battery life, Petrel is slightly more
—Early Petrels use an older Bluetooth interface and (I think) require firmware updates via computer only.
—Petrel 1 lacked an internal compass

I'd advise against buying a Predator as they're no longer repairable, but I wouldn't walk away from a great deal on a Petrel because someone ignorantly says "they're only for rebreather use."

If you have longer term OC trimix dreams, a Petrel will be a better choice, but I'd likely pick up the Peregrine if you're asking this question.

Yeah the one I'm looking has no cable socket

@grantctobin and @berndo
I stand corrected. Still, I think many newer divers asking this question would be best off with the Peregrine.

@OctopusLover
At $200 vs $400, maybe the Petrel is a better deal for you. Not so much because of the extra features, but because of the better value.

Would your opinion say if the Petrel was 200$ and the Peregrine 400$?
If you don't mind the thicker footprint of the petrel, it is more computer for your money.
With it set in recreational mode, it functions identically to the peregrine.
You won't be able to update or download it from an iphone or anything utilizing low energy bluetooth. You will need the usb dongle and a computer.

Yeah, a lot of false information that is not accurate to the Petrel 1 SA.....​

IIRC, (and this too may be false) is I believe the Petrel is no longer able to be updated as the internal hardware has limitations. It is still a fantastic PDC if "sub-peregrine" prices are obtainable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom