Used tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NE_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm probably just being overly cautious but...

I just recently bought 2 used Al 80s off line. Both look brand new and are in current hydro. Both are filled with air. My question is would it be wise drain the air and refill them before diving with them or should I trust that the air is good in them?

Thanks

Probably fine-what about vis? an air fill is what? all of $5 and if you need a vis you have to drain the tank anyway. If you are worried about it, get it done but air does not go bad...unless it was bad when they put it in there.

At least have it analyzed. Who knows what the previous owner filled the cylinders with. Could be 100% O2 which will be fine till you go past 20 feet give or take.

I'm one that says you should always err on the side of caution. The air in the tanks is probably fine but look at the risk/reward factor.
If the air (gas) in the tanks is good then you've managed to save a few bucks. If it's bad................
You would not be overly cautious you would just be using common sense.

I'm with everyone else here. Have the dank drained and a VIP done. It could look fine on the outside but it they were filled from a questionable compressor there could be oil in the tanks. The monetary cost is almost insignificant compared to the possible problems if something IS wrong. Just like any piece of dive gear you buy (from LDS or elsewhere), it's recommended to test it or have it serviced/inspected before using it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom