Using a Bum Bag/Fanny Pack for SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why shucks - who would have thought the return of bum bags would be something that could ever be lumped in as clever!.

Incidentally I dive mostly a bp/w and I'm not as creative as you are and since I lack pockets as well my solution to the blob problem is to make a tight little package of it and to clip it off to a D-ring. This is not ideal and I do like your solution but I thought it worth mentioning that a bit of strategically applied bungee is also worth considering.

I don't really have a good picture of what I mean but look at this for an approximation. This is an old picture showing neither a tight little package nor a bp/w but it gives you the gist of what I'm talking about.

Me and my dive buddy

As a cave diver we use a butt bag (call it whatever you prefer) and we keep emergency/back up items in it. Most commonly, an emergency spool, back up flashlight, double ender, mask, wet notes, etc. Best idea is inside the bag there should be a way to clip off everything so nothing inside the bag is loose. On the outside it should have 2 bolt snaps (first choice) or 2 double enders (as second choice) so that you can clip it off twice - left and right - at the back of your wing/BCD. Some gear manufactures make this item. Generally a bit expensive. You may prefer to go to your favourite hiking sports store. Best idea is one with a mesh window. Allows great drainage and you can see in. I don't like ones with a vinyl window. I don't trust them.

Notice both bolt snaps are attached with zip ties and a small piece of shock cord is also attached. This is for the inside of the bag to attach items to. Also added a zip tie to the zipper for increased feel.

Attachments

• IMG_0892.jpg
    IMG_0892.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 46
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom