Using a Glock to discourage sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They've had that since WW2... basicly OXO cubes of distilled rotten meat which dissolve in the water slowly and taint the water around you with the flavour and aroma of two week old dead horse.

:vomit:

I'll take the shark, thank you very much.

From the Glock website:

“The marinized Glock 17 is primarily for use by various Special Warfare units operating in aquatic environments. At least one specialized Scuba diving group regularly uses G17's to dispatch sharks where they dive. The Glock 17 using NATO specification ball ammunition will completely penetrate a minimum of one 1/2" pine board at a distance of ten feet from the muzzle when fired underwater.
Trained personnel who use Glocks underwater know they must obey several rules:
1) use only a Glock Model 17 with amphibious spring cups (reliability issue);
2) use only 9mm FMJ subsonic, sealed primer ammo;
3) completely immerse the pistol and get *all* the air out of the barrel;
4) wear protective ear plugs, gloves, wet suit, face mask, etc.;
5) do not fire near solid objects or in enclosed spaces to prevent return
concussion.”

Anyone try this?:popcorn:

When I see any sharks my "weapon" of choice is my Canon S80:wink:

My first post - so "Hello, all!"

I seem to learn something new no matter which thread I click into.

For the few who seem upset - I see no where that Glock is suggesting that recreational divers need one of these for shark defense. This is intended solely for military amphibious folks who operate at night anywhere in the world with zero visibility often.

From the Arkansas Game and Fish website: "To Fish – To take, catch, kill, collect, net, trap, spear or otherwise attempt to reduce fish to possession. Fish may not be taken with electrical devices, firearms, explosives, or toxic, stupefying or killing substances."

So you can't fish with it, but if a diver has a concealed carry licesne, can he dive with it? :)

For the few who seem upset - I see no where that Glock is suggesting that recreational divers need one of these for shark defense. This is intended solely for military amphibious folks who operate at night anywhere in the world with zero visibility often.

From the Arkansas Game and Fish website: "To Fish – To take, catch, kill, collect, net, trap, spear or otherwise attempt to reduce fish to possession. Fish may not be taken with electrical devices, firearms, explosives, or toxic, stupefying or killing substances."

So you can't fish with it, but if a diver has a concealed carry licesne, can he dive with it? :)

Not too many sharks in Arkansas are there? :D

When swimming around the streets of the entire Tampa Bay Area. To date, have not dispatched any land sharks or thugs. My 7 1/2 Ruger Red Hawk sticks out.:mooner:

In the waters, I carry a really good knife, that knife has proven a valuable tool in cutting fishing line tangles. My video camera shoot sharks and other dangerous water predators, such as careless divers. :rofl3:

Not too many sharks in Arkansas are there? :D

I keep waiting for someone to pull a bull shark out of one of the rivers. They are known to be found thousands of miles up-river from the ocean, so it's just a matter of time.

Welcome to scubaboard! It seems so weird for me to say that since I had that same thing said to me earlier this week.

Hmm. I don't see why you couldn't carry one if you have concealed carry. And when you get out of the water, just be sure that the water empties out of the barrel before you fire it. I know glocks are really abused in those torture tests, but has anyone seen if they ever submit them to 4 atm pressures? I wonder if water would somehow seep in places it's not supposed to?

There is a possibility of Arkansas having a law about not carrying firearms while scuba diving. But who in the world would have ever thought to even write that law in the first place? So it's slim to none it's illegal.

I keep waiting for someone to pull a bull shark out of one of the rivers. They are known to be found thousands of miles up-river from the ocean, so it's just a matter of time.

I wonder if the rivers in Southern Arkansas have a straight shot to the ocean or if there are dams built. I could see dams as eradicating any chance of migrating bull sharks.

I know glocks are really abused in those torture tests, but has anyone seen if they ever submit them to 4 atm pressures? I wonder if water would somehow seep in places it's not supposed to?

There is no part of a pistol that is sealed. Ammunition is sealed, and if water were to get into the primer or bullet casing it would not fire.

I wonder a bit about whether a pistol would cycle properly underwater. It doesn't take much to make a pistol fail to eject.

Forensic reconstruction has determined that the muzzle flash from a Glock fired 30 feet away ignited Michael Jackson’s hair on the set of a Pepsi commercial.

Back
Top Bottom