Using macro function with macro lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BLD_THRST

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Guys,

Not sure if this has been asked before. I am using the Canon Powershot a570IS with the Inon d2000 strobe, and recently gotten the Inon macro lens.... For the past couple of trips, i have continued using the macro function on the camera with the macro wet lens on... I am still taking the photo close to the subject but can never get those real close-up photos...

I am told that with the macro lens, i do not need to be too close to the subject... Is this true?

Also, do i still use the macro function on the camera or use the normal function with the macro lens?

I had the best luck not putting the camera into macro mode, but that is just my preference. I would use the zoom enough to stop the vignetting in the corners, then set the focus and shoot. I did get some good photos with just one macro lens but I didn't really get the "good stuff" until I bought a second Inon macro lens (they are stackable). Once I had two, I could get every little detail. :) You will notice the vignetting in the corners but you can zoom through it and everything is fine.

I hope that helps.

You don't need to be so close to the subject with a macro lens, but remember that further away you are the more particles between the lens and the subject. Having said that, don't be afraid to try the full optical range of the zoom. Stacking a second lens will give you more magnification, but you will also get a reduced depth of field,so I would advise you to practice a lot with stacked lens on land first.

Back
Top Bottom