Using your drysuit as a BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Horses for courses as far as I am concerned.

When I am diving in fresh water, the small amount of air that I put in to alleviate the squeeze on my drysuit is enough to get me neutral, moving around in the water after that I use my lungs. In salt water, with the extra weight I tend to use slightly more to maintain neutral and again use my lungs to move around during the dive. I use my drysuit all the time in British waters, my BC gets emptied on the surface and doesn't get filled again until I am back on the surface at the end of the dive.

I am however perfectly capable of and comfortable with using both my drysuit and my BC for bouyancy. Diving in a wetsuit when I am abroad means I don't have the drysuit to use and have to use my BC instead and I am not any less comfortable with my diving because of it.

Phish-phood:
Diving in a wetsuit when I am abroad means I don't have the drysuit to use and have to use my BC instead and I am not any less comfortable with my diving because of it.
Good point.

I have the whole thing even more simplified. I use my drysuit for comfort and my bc for trim. I am weighted so with a comfterble(sp?) amount of air in my suit, I can be neutral with almost no air in my BC, yet able to stay under at 15 feet with under 500psi in an aluminium 80 at the end of a dive.

To make it even easier, my exhaust valve for my suit is just below my left wrist, so if I set the resistance right, it dumps the perfect amount when I let air out of my BC. I don't rely on it to keep my buoyancy right, but it usually works an ascent.

Back
Top Bottom