USS Saratoga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fdog.... that pic says a lot. Diving to 170 feet on doubles as a safety diver and not bothering to use two first stages.....

If you'll notice, Haskerts other post is empty also.

:shakeshead:

Good eye! Although with a regulator mask gizmo it may not be any use for the diver. Anyone with such knowledge? Perhaps it should be in place as an alternative breathing source for a buddy in need though.

How many Carriers have ever been dived on Scuba?

I can come up with 4.

USS Saratoga (of course)
USS Oriskany (another easy guess for anyone)
HMS Hermes - sunk on April 9, 1942 off the east coast of Sri Lanka. Sits in 60m of water.

300px-HMS_Hermes_-_Spithead_-_1937.jpg

what is the 4th?

As a note, the next carrier to be sunk will supposedly be the USS Forrestal. But it will be sunk deep.

HMS Dasher?

whoops... I didn't see that reply when I posted. I think you're right.

If HMS Dasher is the 4th, that has to be a highly technical reply: it is presumably a war grave, and so would not be legally diveable, and it's in 142 metres (465 feet) of water, even assuming someone was mad enough to dive in the waters of the Clyde!

the French were going to reef one of their carriers (Clemenceau) recently, but becamse too much of an environmental issue (lots of asbestos) so is now being scrapped instead

the French were going to reef one of their carriers (Clemenceau) recently, but becamse too much of an environmental issue (lots of asbestos) so is now being scrapped instead

I think they decided it was just easier and cheaper if they dispose of their carriers the way they've always gotten rid of their military assets..... They just put a white flag on it and surrender.

That's the French navy for you - can't even sink their own boats.

If HMS Dasher is the 4th, that has to be a highly technical reply: it is presumably a war grave, and so would not be legally diveable, and it's in 142 metres (465 feet) of water, even assuming someone was mad enough to dive in the waters of the Clyde!

Does PADI have a specialty cert for that? :D

Back
Top Bottom