Utila: The Backpacker Diver Trail

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leadweight describes Utila pretty well, I was there for a week back in October. I certainly agree with him about the PADI certifacations, if you don't have them they won't let you dive!

By the way, Leadweight & Tboxcar, the shop I work for will allow someone who can show "Proof of Experience" to do dives that they are not strictly certified for. For example we have seen plenty of people who have done night dives as an Open Water diver or equivalent. If they show us a properly documented log book showing relevant experience then we will exercise discretion as allowed by PADI. The same goes for deep dives (to a maximum of 40m, 130 ft). Despite this I probably upset one person a month who has done "loads of deep dives" but cannot prove it.
The exception is usually Wreck penetration dives.
Yes we are very PADI-centric. It is how we all make our living here!
The moral is this.... log your dives and carry your log book... or get the certfication in which case I know an excellent dive shop :wink:
Simon

There is no need to hold a night diver cert or to be an advanced diver card holder to do a night dive. Night dives can be done as an open water diver, it s purely at the discretion of your instructor. I reckon they were just trying to hit you up for more money. Put Another Dollar In.

I stayed at Cross Creek a couple months ago and had a ball. Had the "cabana" room - $28 for double - with private bath, fridge, A/C and loved it. Right over the water!
Daves, right on site, is a great place to eat as is RJs just down the street. RJs had more seafood while we were there where Daves had more chicken, pork and beef offerings. Both were fabulous and inexpensive. Check my travel report on Utila and Roatan at http://scuba.royalcs.com which includes a lot of pictures that show the local lifestyle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom