UTMB Hyperbaric Facility Goes Bye-Bye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee once bubbled...
Chris....I *think* there's a chamber at Herman Hospital in Houston that accepts divers but it take an act of God to get into it. More like....if you aren't twitching or paralyzed already and showing signs of a neurological hit, they want to hold you in emergancy until they rule out everything else.

It would probably be easier to go to Coz and get in one of their 3 chambers on the island!

Sorry it took a while to answer, have not been around much lately.

I have spoken with the Hermann folks, they are a good group of people.

Basically, they say just call the hyperbaric facility if you are on the way in. They will meet you in the emergency room and avoid a long wait.

For those with an interest, I can give you a perspective from having a case of the bends in 1986 in Houston. Ironically, I wasnt in the water when I get hit, but in a chamber doing test runs at 165 feet (I was a hyperbaric medic).

I came down with symptoms while driving up US59 and pulled into a fire station. I presented my credentials (commercial diving and hyperbaric) and told them I am showing symptoms of DCS.

The ambulance (not Houston EMS) dumped me at Ben Taub. Ben Taub was very honest about their lack of knowledge related to DCS and contacted DAN. I learned Brooke Army (San Antonio), John Sealy and Joe Ellen Smith (New Orleans) all wanted to treat me.

Fortunately, I reached my company and was taken to their facility and was pressed down to 165 fsw to begin sucking O2. I had relief within 10 minutes of reaching 165.

If you have been diving and have symptoms, the key is getting to a place like Hermann. Dont drive yourself, call 911 and request to be taken to Hermann. The key is telling them you have been diving and when, the depths and the like. Once you get to Shock Trauma, tell them the facts, and if you feel the doctor is unresponsive, ask to see the Chief Trauma doctor or Red Duke if he is available. They will grasp the big picture.

Having been through the treatment myself (4 treatment tables) and been involved in treating more then a couple other suspected cases, the best advice I can give you is relax. Going in the chamber is not a big deal, nothing to be nervous about. A test of pressure is a small price to pay to rule out DCS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom