UW Camera Advice Needed - camera options/comparisons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No point in buying a smaller DSLR as to house it and get it set up will cost you pretty much the same as a D200. As other have suggested, go with either the Canon A-series or something similar - make sure it has full manual control. then when buying strobes, make sure they will be compatible with your DSLR in the future - something like an Inon Z-240, or 2nd hand D2000W. Plenty of alternatives in the Ikelite or Sea & Sea range too...

Z...

I own the Dx-1g and have taken pics with it in the Galapagos Islands (just returned last week) and was very pleased with the pics that I got. I have owned 3 sea & sea cameras and have gotten great pics from all three. The DX-1g has a very short shutter lag time so what you see in your LCD monitor whenyou push the shutter button is what you get in the picture, you don't have to "lead" your subject to get the pic. It also takes great above water pics as well. I took lots of above water pics in the Galapagos as well and I thought they turned out very well. The camera offers great versatility as well, you can use it as a point and shoot but it also has manual settings. The camera has a great wide angle lens that can be attached to the front of the housing. I will be posting my Galapagos pics on my gallery in a few weeks but you can see some of my pics that I took with a Sea&Sea DX-8000G in my gallery. The pics from Fiji were taken with that camera and I think they are very good. If you want any other info feel free to email me at jamescrew6@verizon.net

Regards,

Bill

Helli Jessi, I own the DX-1G and am very happy with the results I recently got during a trip to the Galapagos Islands. I bought the DX-1G to replace my Sea&Sea 8000G that I broke just before the Galapagos trip. The DX-1G contains a Ricoh GX100 camera that has gotten very good reviews. Here is a link to one review Ricoh Caplio GX100 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review. The camera setup with a strobe (I use the YS-110) and the wide angle lens (which is a great lens) will cost around $1800-2000. I will be posting pics from my Galapagos trip in my gallery from my Galapagos trip in the next few weeks to see the type of results. However, you can check my pics that I got with the 8000G on a trip to Fiji by clicking on my gallery link to the left of this message. Feel free to contact me at jamescrew6@verizon.net if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. :)

I've been poking around the links they lead me too and am finding that a lot of the camera examples Ive seen are discontinued models.

Now I am really curious about the new sea&sea and whats currently on the market for compact models with housings.

This forum is awesome. Im learning a lot!

why go with a discontinued model and then have trouble getting a housing for it?
You seem to not be too sure what you want to do.
Going from a dslr to a sealife is a BIG difference.If you started by being interested in a dslr and settle for a sealife you will be disappointed.Think about point and shoot with advanced features.Nikon p5100 may be a good choice for you with a ike housing that can handle the ttl features via a hot shoe on the camera.Mate it with a 125 strobe/wide angle lens and you have a decent setup.Much better than a sealife and less than 1/2 cost of a decent dslr kit.Check my gallery, most images shot with a oly 5050 in ike housing w/a lens 125 strobe. Just purchased a nikon p5100 for wife for her b day and most likely get her a ike housing/strobe/lens for xmas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom