Uwatec Galileo SOL Strap Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think my Luna is over 3 years old now, and in spite of frequent use and being stretched tightly around my forearm, I have not had a strap failure. But, your experiences now have me worried about losing the computer during a dive, so I have fashioned a bungee retainer loop for it, which I can slip my hand through before strapping on the computer. So thanks for the warning.
By the way, I searched for the old thread but couldn't find it. I've never seen one of these loops that PiranhaChris mentioned, but without something similar, I couldn't figure out a way to attach bungees to the bottom.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/computers-gauges-watches-analyzers/285253-galileo-sol-bungee.html

There were two ways. One is to cut the strap and drill holes in the stubs to thread bungees, the other to use the pin retainers as an anchor for the bungees.

Adam

I noticed 2 fractures in my Luna wrist strap while on the dive boat last week. I never saw them before that. One is from one side to a center whole, the other is between 2 holes and almost halfway across the strap. I was worried that it would fall off while diving, so I looped a flashlight lanyard through the top frame and around my wrist. I will probably make a bungee mount for it.

Thank for the link.
If I do not find a nice cloth strap soon.
I am gonna drill and dual bungee.

BTW - I just had another original uwatec strap break. This time it tore right above the accordian where the pin rotates. Did not notice it until I was on the boat. It was a 1/2" tare (strap is 1.5" wide). Even if it did tore all the way through. It would of just dangle. After the first strap failure. I had a safety 200lb mono loop through the top strap mount. PIA to loop the backup mono onto my wrist everytime, but worth the added safety.

Here is the issue.
If you strap the computer on firm so the screen is facing you properly. Any side to side push/movement to the computer from moving around at depth will cause the strap to prematurely fail.
If you strap the computer lose. The computer will slide to the point where the screen is facing the wrong way (the bottom). It is unreadable in this position with a flip of the wrist. Requires the other hand to correct the orientation prior to reading.

Stupid Uwatec Strap. For what they charge for these computer. They could have included a better strap.

If I do not find a nice cloth strap soon.
I am gonna drill and dual bungee.

Stupid Uwatec Strap. For what they charge for these computer. They could have included a better strap.

I got out my caliper and did some careful measurements of the Luna this weekend. The hole for the stainless steel pin is currently approximately 2 mm in diameter, which leaves about 3 mm of solid thermoplastic housing around each hole. If the hole is enlarged to 3 mm (enough for a 1/8 inch bungee), that leaves approximately 2 mm of plastic around the hole. So, this should work; however, my conclusion is that to go any larger than this (for example, to 4 mm for a 3/16 inch bungee, which would leave only 1 mm of housing around the hole) would create a risk that the housing itself would break.

I examined my original strap with a magnifying glass and could find no signs of cracking or impending failure. So for now, it looks like I'm safe with the bungee loop retainer. :-^). But I do stretch the strap tightly, as you said, to keep the screen correctly oriented.

Here we go. I just got my Luna, and here's what I'm talking about with the "Retactor Accessory". They even show it on the SP site for the Luna.
photo.jpg

I had the same strap breakage issue, but it apparently occurred in the box as it was good when it went in and was bad when it was taken out on the next dive day.

I trimmed each strap off flush with computer - in essence creating a rubber filler strip. I then pulled the pins out removed the strips and shortended the strips enough on each end to accommodate 3/16" bungee. I then re-inserted the pins over the bungee, through the hole in the rubber strip and through a second bungee.

Basically, the trimmed remains of the straps now only serve as spacers to keep each bungee separate.

Each bungee loops around the pin, and doubles back on itself around to the second pin and the loop is secured ot itself by a Double Fisherman's knot that also provides for length adjustment of each bungee, making it usable on anything from bare skin to a cold water dry suit without beng too loose or too tight.

I regarded it as an improvement over the original strap. Personally, I always thought the "all your eggs in one basket" approach Uwatec used on that strap was pretty stupid on a high end computer. I had a bungee fail on a DSS boot for my Tec 2G and other than 1 side flopping loose it was a non event with a second bungee present, but it made me consider what would have happened at the same 40' stop during a drifting deco in 240' of water if a single strap had failed on something like a Luna.

I can post a pic tonight if anyone is interested.

I had the same strap breakage issue, but it apparently occurred in the box as it was good when it went in and was bad when it was taken out on the next dive day.

I trimmed each strap off flush with computer - in essence creating a rubber filler strip. I then pulled the pins out removed the strips and shortended the strips enough on each end to accommodate 3/16" bungee. I then re-inserted the pins over the bungee, through the hole in the rubber strip and through a second bungee.

Basically, the trimmed remains of the straps now only serve as spacers to keep each bungee separate.

Each bungee loops around the pin, and doubles back on itself around to the second pin and the loop is secured ot itself by a Double Fisherman's knot that also provides for length adjustment of each bungee, making it usable on anything from bare skin to a cold water dry suit without beng too loose or too tight.

I regarded it as an improvement over the original strap. Personally, I always thought the "all your eggs in one basket" approach Uwatec used on that strap was pretty stupid on a high end computer. I had a bungee fail on a DSS boot for my Tec 2G and other than 1 side flopping loose it was a non event with a second bungee present, but it made me consider what would have happened at the same 40' stop during a drifting deco in 240' of water if a single strap had failed on something like a Luna.

I can post a pic tonight if anyone is interested.

Yes please a picture/pictures would be helpful. Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom