v12 split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's really no need to agree or disagree. I was just reporting my subjective impression based on my experience. It's one perspective that may be useful to the OP, along with other information and impressions from others.

They very-very heavy. Have hard time maintaining horizontal position under water.

Apollo Fins are much better than the Oceanic. The V-12s are OK. I had a pair for about a year. I then tried the Apollos and never went back. You won't regret it.

APOLLO :eyebrow:

I have Oceanic V-12 splits, and I'm very happy with them. They are my first fin, so I don't have much to compare them to, just rental fins, but I've never had any issues with them. They are very negative in the water, but I suppose that's better than having floaty feet.

Rhonda

Everyone is different. I've got V-12s and they were the first fin I've ever had that I liked on the first dive. I tried Atomic splits and Twin Jets and didn't care for them, but I know people who swear by one or the other. The early V-12s had a known problem on early batches that popped up on occasion, the rubber posts for the heel strap came off on some of them. Oceanic guaranteed them and replaced them, I haven't had the problem with my newer pair and haven't met anyone recently who's had the problem show up in the last couple of years, don't know if the problem is over or not though. I haven't tried the Apollos, Tusa or other brands. I don't hesitate to recommend the Oceanics, but individual tastes are what usually matters.

i love my v12's. And i mean that seriously. However, they are a heavy fin and I tend to only use them dry suit diving (which is the majority of my diving). For my wetsuit dives i use the new V16's which provide the same propulsion but being plasitc are not as heave as the 12's. can your lds let you have a pair of each to have a go in?

I have one of the very first retail sold pair of Apollo fins and love them. The very first day of the very first shipment ever I grabbed the first medium off the back of the truck and set it next to my desk before unloading anything else.

I've had occasion to try just about all the other split fins to hit the market and my favorite thing to do is do my first dive with the new fin, and my second dive with one of each on my feet. Just to see if I can feel a difference. Many I can. Some I can't. All in all, I didn't find a huge difference in the way the V12 felt on my feet compared to the Apollo. Both performed great and were more than comfortable. I'll keep my Apollos because I own them, but if I were in need of purchasing another and the V12 was what was in front of me, I'd not be disappointed.

I dive Oceanic V-12's for most dives I do. I like them. Don't notice that it takes me that long to get going as someone else said.

Oceanic also now makes the new Vortex V-16's, that are supposed to be more powerful and they also come in different colors (Blue, Yellow, Black and Ice:confused:?). I haven't had a chance to try them out yet though.

Cheers and Safe Diving,
Rich

They are very negative in the water, but I suppose that's better than having floaty feet.

Rhonda

Actually, no. You really want to have floaty feet as opposed to feet that drag. If your feet get floaty, just bend the knees and keep your body horizontal and you'll look like a cave diver with 1000+ dives. Drag your feet vertically and you'll just look like a newbie. Most of the very experienced divers I've seen have their heads down and feet up half the time anyway, just checking stuff out but keeping their feet outta the way. If your fins are negative move weight to shoulder trim pockets or get neutral or postively buoyant fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom