Vacation with non-Diving wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to GC in April. If you can work it out cost wise, it will definitely work for divers and non-divers alike. If you stay on 7 mile beach, some operators will do beach pickup which is really time efficient. Cozumel has spectacular diving, but the beaches are not the selling point in my opinion. Still a fun destination for non-divers. I have also had great vactions to the Virgin Islands. St. John has the best beaches I've seen anywhere. Diving can be quite good. If you stay in Cruz Bay, the dive boat leaves right there. British Virgin Islands are great too. I have stayed on Tortola and Virgin Gorda. Will likely be going back to VG for vacation again, as we loved the uncrowded feel of it. Diving the reck of the Rhone is a must do. I would suggest flying to St. Thomas, then taking a ferry to VG or St. John. You can even hit both in the same vacation easily.

What do folks think about Playa Del Carmen? Lots of different diving, local reefs, day trips to Cozumel, Cenotes, even snorkeling with whale sharks. From the pictures, it looks like the beaches are nice as well. Thoughts?

What do folks think about Playa Del Carmen? Lots of different diving, local reefs, day trips to Cozumel, Cenotes, even snorkeling with whale sharks. From the pictures, it looks like the beaches are nice as well. Thoughts?

Very good home base for a nice variety of activities.

Yeah Playa is great too. Definitely cost effective. The cenote cavern diving is amazing. Beaches are nice, but a little more wave action than I typically am looking for. Lots to do for family. Certain times of the year, you can dive with Bull sharks there. I've not done it. You can even split your trip between Playa and Cozumel by taking the ferry over. I would suggest hit some cenotes there, then head to Coz for the ocean diving if possible.

Perhaps I should weigh in, as I am the non-diving person in my marriage -- and have learned a long time ago how to accommodate hubby's love of diving. We've had some great combined vacations (Maui, Kauai, Cancun, Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac). As the non-diver - I say no thank-you to liveaboards or trips where diving is the primary focus; hubby gets his diving fix on those. When diving is important but doesn't have to be primary, I embrace exploring topside while he dives and then we spend the afternoon/evening together. 33 years of marriage teaches that respect and compromise make it all possible. And I have a genuine delight in HIS love of the ocean.
To the O.P., depending on what type of activities besides snorkeling your spouse likes, I'd recommend Grand Cayman, or for a quiet, laid-back place, Cayman Brac.

...To the O.P., depending on what type of activities besides snorkeling your spouse likes, I'd recommend Grand Cayman, or for a quiet, laid-back place, Cayman Brac.

I think that Grand Cayman is a great choice for a mix of divers and non-divers. I am not a big fan of the 7 Mile Beach area. It is gorgeous but too developed and expensive for us. We rent a one-bedroom apartment at the Turtle Nest Inn in Bodden Town and the price includes a rental car. The inn is right on the beach (but not the 7MB) and there is very good snorkeling right outside the door. The Inn has an agreement with DNS divers to offer dive services to their guests.

Bodden Town is a more suburban area and it is centrally located with easy access to all sides of the island, but if you want to be close to the shops, restaurants, and attractions then West Bay and the 7MB would be the best choice.

Wherever you stay I suggest a condo or apartment with a kitchen because eating out 3 times a day gets very expensive. We prepare simple breakfast and lunch meals and often go out for dinner - or order a pizza. I also recommend renting a car for at least part of the trip because there is a lot to see and do on GC.

There are some condos and hotels that have a dive op on site and that usually makes things easy but other dive ops will pick you up and that is convenient. Sunshine Suites is a popular venue. You get a kitchenette or apartment and you have access to 7MB and the Westin and I believe that DiveTech will pick you up for your dive excursions.

If you decide to do a 2-tank boat trip in the morning you can also find inexpensive shore dive options for the afternoon that have a dive op on site. Turtle Reef is an example and they charge $15 CI for a tank and weights. We mostly shore dive and snorkel on GC because there are a lot of good options and it is cheaper. But if this is your first trip then you out to see the North Wall and the East End and the Kittiwake and some of the other great boat dive locations.

I have never stayed at the Cobalt Coast resort but they are a small, all-inclusive, diver-dedicated resort. They are north of the 7MB and rather far off the beaten path, you would need a car. There's a small beach but not a lot of beach, mostly ironshore. They offer 2 morning boat dives and unlimited shore dives and snorkeling. Reef Divers is the new onsite dive op. I have dived with them on Brac and Little in the past and they are great and provide valet dive service at no extra charge. But there are plenty of great dive ops on GC.

There is lots of stuff to do on GC but since you will have 10 days you might want to spend a few days on Cayman Brac or Little Cayman just to check it out. Very quiet and peaceful little islands and the diving is even better IMO. But keep in mind that the Wait to Fly rule will impact your diving during an interisland vacation.

Have fun wherever you go!

A quick note to this discussion - Divetech will have a formal announcement shortly, along with a re-designed website, highlighting our new location at the Holiday Inn Resort. It's located in North Sound, on the water, and has a number of non-diving activities on site, including watersports, jet-ski rentals, tennis, pool bar, and adjacent golf course. It's also minutes from Camana Bay and 7-mile, and the complimentary shuttle will take you to either location. Very reasonably priced, it's a great location for non-diving partners.

received_10101323690086585.jpeg

A quick note to this discussion - Divetech will have a formal announcement shortly, along with a re-designed website, highlighting our new location at the Holiday Inn Resort. It's located in North Sound, on the water, and has a number of non-diving activities on site, including watersports, jet-ski rentals, tennis, pool bar, and adjacent golf course. It's also minutes from Camana Bay and 7-mile, and the complimentary shuttle will take you to either location. Very reasonably priced, it's a great location for non-diving partners.

View attachment 374141

I was looking at staying there might have to see if I have enough free nights to make a little vacation on the cheap.

My wife does not dive and we find that the "Yours, Mine, Ours" program fits our needs. Married 32 years and loving every minute of it, however we have vastly different interests. The best compromise destination for us has been in Belize at Turneffe Island Resort. No fancy night life, but plenty to do for divers and non divers, world class snorkeling. Have been there 4 times and my wife is after me to book a trip there in 2017.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom