Vandenberg Sat-dishes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On September 25th, 1998 the eye of Hurricane Georges passed over Key West as a category 2 hurricane with sustained winds of 90 knots. This was not a very strong storm, and the eye was well to the west of Islamorada. Still it ripped the Eagle in half, and moved the two sections apart from each other.

I know that the satalite dishes are the favorite feature of the wreck, but I can also understand the concern about them being torn off during a storm. It is a tough call. Maybe the answer is to add additional insurance as opposed to removing them. I know that no government agency likes to add additional costs especially in this economy, but if this effects tourist $$$ then it is worth the cost. Just my $0.02.

I just got back from a very interesting meeting of all the concerned parties. It looks as though Joe Weatherby is going to put together a team to make the dishes more secure. Work should be finished before hurricanes become a serious threat. That seems to be enough to placate the bureaucrats for now.

"However we do have an ongoing concern."

"Is there any possible permanent solution?"

"Absolutely none."

But the good news is that the dishes probably won't be coming off any time soon.

--

Bud

On September 25th, 1998 the eye of Hurricane Georges passed over Key West as a category 2 hurricane with sustained winds of 90 knots. This was not a very strong storm, and the eye was well to the west of Islamorada. Still it ripped the Eagle in half, and moved the two sections apart from each other.

I know that the satalite dishes are the favorite feature of the wreck, but I can also understand the concern about them being torn off during a storm. It is a tough call. Maybe the answer is to add additional insurance as opposed to removing them. I know that no government agency likes to add additional costs especially in this economy, but if this effects tourist $$$ then it is worth the cost. Just my $0.02.

Lets not forget that a hurricane moved the Spiegel upright.

Lets not forget that a hurricane moved the Spiegel upright.

the winds(sustained) from hurricane dennis(july 2005) which crossed over the se tip of cuba, never reached hurricane force @ the following sites(archived on the NHC's website)
offshore:
fowey rocks: sustained 52kts gust 73kts
carysfort: sustained 51kts gust 59kts
molasses reef: sustained 45kts gust 58kts just south of the spiegel grove!!!
sombrero reef: sustained 64kts gust 76 kts
sand key(key west): sustained 54kts gust 68kts
land:
homestead afb: 24-38kts
marathon airport: 33-47kts
big pine key: 34-48kts
key west airport: 53-64kts

i found those stats amazing,,,,

reefman
key largo

I just got back from a very interesting meeting of all the concerned parties. It looks as though Joe Weatherby is going to put together a team to make the dishes more secure. Work should be finished before hurricanes become a serious threat. That seems to be enough to placate the bureaucrats for now.

"However we do have an ongoing concern."

"Is there any possible permanent solution?"

"Absolutely none."

But the good news is that the dishes probably won't be coming off any time soon.

--

Bud

Thank God!!! I, for one, dragged my hubby down there for the main reason of diving the Vandy . . . And it's the dishes that make it special.

And don't forget the Jim Atria.

Yeah, a wreck is much more likely to be pushed down slope than up slope.

But back to the Vandenberg. My gut feeling is that the person behind this is less worried about damage to the reef than in reminding the local dive community that he has supreme authority that is backed by the full power of the federal government.

--

Bud

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom