Varicose vein treatments and down time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASSE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Looking to make an informed decision regarding down time (out of water) varicose vein treatments especially Ultrasound guided foam Sclerotheraphy (Varithena) and Visually guided Sclerotheraphy (sclerosant ). There isn't much, of any i could find, information/articles regarding these procedures and scuba activities. I have looked on the DAN site and am presently waiting a response (sent in a Medic question).

Feed back and any related articles would be greatly appreciated.

Everyone’s response to the procedure is different. My mom just had two rounds of treatment done on one leg and has less pain now than she ever did before the procedure, however I have a friend that had it done and she had severe pain and cramping for weeks afterwards as well as severe excersize intolerance.

Talk to your doctor about how long they recommend you stay out of the water for. The procedure SHOULD improve the circulation in your leg(s). Best of luck with your recovery, hope your back in the water soon

Looking to make an informed decision regarding down time (out of water) varicose vein treatments especially Ultrasound guided foam Sclerotheraphy (Varithena) and Visually guided Sclerotheraphy (sclerosant ). There isn't much, of any i could find, information/articles regarding these procedures and scuba activities. I have looked on the DAN site and am presently waiting a response (sent in a Medic question).

Feed back and any related articles would be greatly appreciated.

The best thing is to follow your physician's advice on returning to activity which, as joe10540 pointed out above, can vary among individuals.

Best regards,
DDM

Everyone’s response to the procedure is different. My mom just had two rounds of treatment done on one leg and has less pain now than she ever did before the procedure, however I have a friend that had it done and she had severe pain and cramping for weeks afterwards as well as severe excersize intolerance.

Talk to your doctor about how long they recommend you stay out of the water for. The procedure SHOULD improve the circulation in your leg(s). Best of luck with your recovery, hope your back in the water soon

Thank you for replying . . . I have had procedures in the past and with success. Just gathering more informed info as it relates to scuba diving as my doctor is vague on this issue.

The best thing is to follow your physician's advice on returning to activity which, as joe10540 pointed out above, can vary among individuals.

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks and yes following my doctors advice, but still want to gather more info on this issue, not much out there, as my doctor is vague regarding scuba

Thanks and yes following my doctors advice, but still want to gather more info on this issue, not much out there, as my doctor is vague regarding scuba

I did find one article on DAN under non-invasive plastic surgery by Wesley Hyatt, DAN senior editorial Assistant which mention no down time for scolerotheraphy. So this has promoted me to research more articles.

Out of curiosity what are your concerns with getting back in the water too soon? DCS? Infection? Creating complications from the procedure? I’m a nurse and the hospital I work at has a hyperbaric medicine department so I could go ask around about specific concerns for you.

Personally and this is only for myself, I’d be ok attempting an easy dive (read no long walks with gear or long swims lots of stairs or such) as soon as the doctor told me that I was cleared to start swimming again. Obviously this is all dependent on how the pain/discomfort in the leg is afterwards. I can’t think of any dive specific complications that could arise.

Out of curiosity what are your concerns with getting back in the water too soon? DCS? Infection? Creating complications from the procedure? I’m a nurse and the hospital I work at has a hyperbaric medicine department so I could go ask around about specific concerns for you.

Personally and this is only for myself, I’d be ok attempting an easy dive (read no long walks with gear or long swims lots of stairs or such) as soon as the doctor told me that I was cleared to start swimming again. Obviously this is all dependent on how the pain/discomfort in the leg is afterwards. I can’t think of any dive specific complications that could arise.

Being main crew on a dive charter and out of the water for two weeks is a concern. And as you can guess that's a lot of physical activity; loading/unloading tanks and gear, diving, etc. So finding good information regarding treatments in regarding to scuba would not only be helpful for me in the future but for many. Still waiting on DAN's response. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom