Venice Dives - gear setup & questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbm369

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I will be in Venice later this month June 27th - July 2nd and have a few questions on diving Venice.

I've been to Venice once before, but this is my first time diving here. Planning on doing mainly shore dives, but also a few boat dives, weather permitting. Based on what I've read about the area, everything will be shallow - 40 feet or less as far as tooth/fossil hunting.

What's the typical gear loadout for this area, at this time of the year?
ie: no wetsuit needed, shorty, full 3 mil, etc...?
any hand/digging tools to bring in for Meg / Fossil hunting? (other than mesh bag)
any sea life concerns in the area at this time of year? (jellyfish, stingrays, etc...)

Any specific tips?

I will be staying on Villas Drive in Venice, which looks to be about a 1/2 mile south of the Alhambra site, so that will probably be where most of my beach dives take place.

Does anyone know the typical direction of the current at Alhambra? North to South, South-North, does it vary much? Just debating on whether or not I can enter the water off Villas drive and proceed north to the Alhambra site.

Thanks in advance for any help & advice,
Charlie

This time of year, water temps are mid 80's, so you shouldn't need any neoprene. I have found digging tools unnecessary, just a bag to put your find in. and a dive flag. Most, if not all of the fossil hunting is in less than 30 fsw.

Typically there is a South to North long shore current off the Venice beaches. As stated you must tow a flag and float diving from the beach. Digging tools do not help, and considering the silt levels off Venice one should be careful not to disturb the bottom as you search. On additional price of advice, you may notice some boats, one quite large, flying dive flags very close to the beach. Stay well clear of these guys. No words to describe these guys, who sift or blow out the bottom to collect mostly small teeth to sell. They think they own the Gulf, and have be know harass other divers. If you have any question feel free to give us a call at the shop, we have been in operation for more than 20 years. Since you have never done any diving off Venice you might want to come out on one of our charters as a means of becoming oriented toward fossil diving off Venice. Also check out or web site floridawestscuba.com. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies & advice.

I'm planning on doing a couple of boat dives as well, if the weather cooperates.
The low shouldn't bother me as the past couple of months all I've been doing are lake dives, 2-4 ft ave viz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom