Vertical vs Horizontal Perception of Distance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may have assumed that I mistyped when I wrote about the 10 meter board. I didn't.

Nope. I'm talking about the top platform on that photo: 10 meters up.

bassejn-dynamo-kyev2.jpg

I forget at what age they moved us into that open-air pool: I started at 6yo and we swam in the indoor 25m pool (in the building behind the photographer's back) for a while, before they let us in with the big boys. I don't think it was that long before we were in the 50 m one.

Of course we'd sneak out to the diving well after practice and dare each other to jump off the platforms and dive to the bottom in the deepest part and all that.

To me it is difficult to comprehend the depth of water above having done many 50, 80 and some 100m dives. At 100m being on a rich trimix does not feel any different to any other deep dive, now when I look up at a tall building that is 50 or 75m high (the tallest building in my city) and I think **** that is high, then looking up at something that is 100m I think yikes! Imagin that column of water above you. I just don't get that perception of depth on a deep dive.

To me it is difficult to comprehend the depth of water above having done many 50, 80 and some 100m dives. At 100m being on a rich trimix does not feel any different to any other deep dive, now when I look up at a tall building that is 50 or 75m high (the tallest building in my city) and I think **** that is high, then looking up at something that is 100m I think yikes! Imagin that column of water above you. I just don't get that perception of depth on a deep dive.
all I know is I can see sunlight.. that's up...and thats ok with me..

I guess my main point is that in reality....... 100ft is just really not that far and if an ESA ever did become necessary from that depth, than having a preconceived understanding, perception and understanding of actual distance can more realistically make it a CESA........both physically and mentally.

The fear of falling (vertical distance ) is one of the innate fears (not acquired, already wired). There is a study from 1960 that explored depth perception and self protective behavior in humans when exposed to heights. This innate fear of falling vertical distance is an important part of infant development, for self preservation. The instinctive brain is pretty primitive, so maybe vertical is vertical either in water or on land, to the instinctive brain.

Considering all of my training repeatedly emphasized the risk of grave injury resulting from actions taken or not taken during ascent and descent, it would be hard to imagine not having a sense of self preservation when considering depth. However, I didn't run across any warnings about horizontal movement, no images of a gruesome demise associated strictly with the rate of speed while traveling horizontally underwater.

So I'm guessing some innate as well as conditioned (through training, education and perhaps experience) feelings of respect for the visual and cognitive perception of depth underwater?

Or maybe not just spitballin'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom