Video demonstrating the rate of color absorption as you descend underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I certainly appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to do the experiment and then posting it.

It is not really about the "color" of the water.....that is, a greenish water does not just add a greenish tint to all the colors. Rather, it is about what is IN the water that makes it greenish, and the accumulative affect of that on all the colors.

It is not really about the "color" of the water.....that is, a greenish water does not just add a greenish tint to all the colors. Rather, it is about what is IN the water that makes it greenish, and the accumulative affect of that on all the colors.
That is just splitting hairs and stating the obvious...

That is just splitting hairs and stating the obvious...
As on the other thread, you are welcome to your opinion. Optical oceanographers seem to think otherwise.

As on the other thread, you are welcome to your opinion. Optical oceanographers seem to think otherwise.
Really? You've already had optical oceanographers come in here and decide that you're not just splitting hairs? I'm honored.
Id love to know more about all the different colors of uncontaminated h2o though...

Phytoplancton being what in the h2o(water)? A contaminant maybe? It sure aint part of the chemical compound..

Sent fra min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk

I'm talking about the ocean. It has phytoplankton in it, along with a lot of other stuff....particulates, diatoms, various elements like carbon, nitrogen, sodium, etc.
If you are talking about pure H20 you are not talking about the ocean.
If by contaminants you mean anything in the water other than pure H20, then the ocean is full of contaminants.
But most folks use "contaminants" to mean somewhat harmful things that shouldn't be there.

And thats why its splitting hairs.. because it doesnt MATTER to the eye that you dont swim in pure water, you see what the water and all the contaminants in it dont absorb.. and its fairly obvious as everyone know what pure water looks like..

---------- Post added July 27th, 2014 at 11:23 PM ----------

Well, everyone that has the means of diving anyways.. sadly theres lots of people who never got to see it..

Are you saying that light passing through pure water does not have selective absorption of the various colors?

Back
Top Bottom