Video Editing:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waltdeas

Distinguished Guest
Reaction score
I recently came across an editorial in the July issue of 'Camcorder & ComputerVideo' magazine. All about a new program called "muvee autoProducer". Check it out at http://www.muvee.com It could be fun. As quoted "It's automatic editing...There's nothing in the world simpler. You just feed your raw footage into your computer, press a few buttons on an enormously sophisticated program, and out jumps a completely edited video!"

Regards, Walt Deas.

It looks like a great idea, thanks for the link.

Also, let me be one of the first to say welcome to the family. It's an honor to have you aboard Mr Deas!

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Welcome indeed! I've enjoyed reading a number of your articles.

My experience with the so-called non linear video editing packages has only been with the "consumer" variety, but even those enable you to put together a pretty spiffy production, though it takes a bit of work, and quite some machine resources.

<checking out link...>

I'm not sure quite how muvee would work putting together a cohesive storyline automatically. Analysing the video content isn't the same as knowing the semantic content. Still, might be worth a download to check out how it'd work with the raw video of my last trip down to Patagonia (non-diving).

-Simon

Simon, I'd be interested in finding out if it works. Skeptic that I am this has the very distinct look of "too good to be true". Obviously, that makes me suspicious.

BTW, did anyone see a PRICE on this thing? I couldn't even find a hint.

Hmmm...

~SubMariner~

I'll do the download this weekend and check it out. Will let you know the outcome. Methink "too good to be true" is right. Let's see.

-Simon

So I did the download (and upgraded to DirectX 8.0 as required) and lo and behold, the program error'd out somewhere during its processing, so I was unable to see what it decided to generate for me.

What I can report is that it decides on certain "styles" of video that it cuts together in some fashion: a "fast" style that's in the chronological order of the video, but with possibly some scenes chopped according to their algorithm, whatever that is; a "music video" style (fast jumbled scenes), a "romantic" style (apparantly, slow motion and dissolves), and a "SFX" style, which I guess does a little of everything. Their algorithm somehow balances the edits with the music and style as the input parameters. Could be interesting for the "music" and "sfx", because these don't have the prerequisite of cohesive content, but I really can't see it doing anything that needs contextual content.

-Simon

Thanks folks for checking this program out. Good to see the feed-back. I'll get the company to check the site and see what they come back with.

The muvee autoProducer is not for making an informative documentary where semantic meaning is important. Where the autoProducer is useful is getting your family and/or friends to watch your 2 hours of undersea footage cut into a nice MTV-like production that will not bore them to tears.
Your graceful manta ray footage or coral reef swim throughs can be done using the Slow Romantic style with a nice slow classical piece or perhaps a ballet-like kind of music. Use your imagination with your jaws footage!

Quite often people who shoot their own "home" video footage do not need to tell a story per se but rather to express an emotive impression of the visuals. And is where muvee autoProducer comes in.

If anybody has problems with the software they are encouraged to feedback through the site and help will be given. By the way I do not work for the company.

Regards, Walt Deas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom