Video: Freedive Spearfishing in Palm Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Think of swimming 50 yards underwater at the swim pool on one breath and that is a 75 foot free dive. The difference is if you come up short in a pool, you lift your head up. In a vertical dive no other option but to make it all the way. Not many swimmers can make that swim. Even with the aid of fins, the dive is impressive. I did hear PADI has a certification for free diving. Crazy. I thought you just had to practice and get in to swimming shape to free dive. I doubt if many divers could swim 25 yards underwater, thats why SCUBA was invented.
Actually.... swimming 50 yards underwater in a pool is not too difficult. Swimming up and back from 75 feet is harder. When you start the dive you need to fight your buouyancy, then below 40 feet you become heavy and heavier as your chest compresses and also the suit. When you leave the bottom at 75 feet, you are pretty heavy. You have to fight your way down and fight your way back when diving vertically..

For me going down 75 and back up is easier. At 25 feet or so going down, I hardly have to kick. At 50 feet, just glide. It's a bit more kicking coming up but with long fins no problem.

The hard thing about depth is mental. I can do 2 minute dives at 30-40 feet on good days. So 100 foot dives should be easy.....riiiiiiiiggghhht. It's something about getting down past 70 or so....and as you approach 90 having to "grouper call" to get air up into your mouth for equalization. It's getting darker....a bit colder....

The ones who can dive to 200 or more are freaks of nature. Kind of the like the horse, Secretariat. Bigger heart and lungs. (That's what I have to tell myself..haha)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom