Video/Pictures...Will I need a dive light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A red filter (used the flip model) really brought out the colors with my GoPro in Coz last April during daylight dives. That made a big difference. I also used a morph back up light with the video head and got nice nite dive video and illuminated parts of swim thru dives, which are dark. So a light is often a useful thing even in clear bright Cozumel. The morph back up dive light is so bright for its small size it wowed people and is a great dive light irregardless. The video light brings out the colors so the filter is not used in conjunction with it - you would overkill on red - a flip filter makes that change over easy.

The Cozumel nite diving is great so don't miss that adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0GXZErOQ-k&list=UUlwbSlCXD3TvfEpXUpwQzLg&index=32

Its nice to review your videos each day so you learn from your mistakes and don't repeat them the whole trip. Enjoy. This is a bit dark (90 ft) but without extra lighting using red filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcjWzmCp27E&list=UUlwbSlCXD3TvfEpXUpwQzLg&index=30

A better light set up with a tray and a couple truly powerful lights would have been even better though much, much, more costly and a bit more hassle...I used a pole set up for GoProBlack 3 plus. Had the morph lite w video head on a lanyard. Practice with what you have before you go, even if its in a pool.

PS:
Its very easy to neglect air, depth, buddy diving etc while focusing on photography. Especially depth as the water in Cozumel is so clear and warm you don't notice you're at 100. Enjoy.

Many of y'all are giving video advise to a :newbie: who ain't ready for it....!!
You are not certified, according to your profile.
Don't even take the GoPro, get some dive experience first. New divers with cameras are seriously dangerous to themselves and to the reef.

Many of y'all are giving video advise to a :newbie: who ain't ready for it....!!

Peeshaw.... The BEST thing for a new diver is something to hold with both hands and keep them from flailing about. :)

Peeshaw.... The BEST thing for a new diver is something to hold with both hands and keep them from flailing about. :)
Try that one in the Accidents forums.

"I always dive with my GoPro and was just wondering if I will need a dive light to capture better shots?", wrote the OP.
It's his profile. If it's not up to date, who is to blame? Big difference in a newbie and a diver with a hundred dives, so even if he has a paper C-card or something - all I can do is go on his profile.

Thanks for all the info. guys!!!

(Sorry, profile hasn't been updated)

I got certified early this year and have dived a handful of times in lakes, at Keys West and Thailand so far. I'm still a newbie!

With that being said, I bought a "cheap" red dive filter off of ebay (Never again)...it ruined all my Thailand footage and all my vids were orange and red, no color correction at all...and that was my fault.

When I go to Cozumel, I plan on not making the same mistake and will buy a real dive filter. I'll purchase a small dive light as well....in case

Thanks for all the vids!!! I will def. check them out once I get home.

Well, if the Gopro doesnt kill you maybe the carbon monoxide will!

---------- Post added October 1st, 2014 at 03:05 PM ----------

That was just a (bad) joke btw...

This website has tons of great Cozumel info...diving is very good there and you will love it .

I was also impressed by the great places to eat and very friendly people. Seems most places have their act together.

Thx lamarpaulski!

Yes, I am very excited to dive in Cozumel!...and want my vids to trun out great.

btw, which flip red filter did you purchase?

Try that one in the Accidents forums.

It's his profile. If it's not up to date, who is to blame? Big difference in a newbie and a diver with a hundred dives, so even if he has a paper C-card or something - all I can do is go on his profile.
Cause the profiles here is always accurate and should be taken as fact.
Kinda the same way people always show their highest certifications when booking dive trips.. Oh wait - they dont...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom