video vs. photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bosshogg357

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm considering getting into underwater photography/video. I am torn between going with video over photography. Why would I want to go with one over the other?
Thanks!

bosshogg357:
I'm considering getting into underwater photography/video. I am torn between going with video over photography. Why would I want to go with one over the other?
Thanks!
Which do you like better? I do both. They both have their merits, and downsides.

I recently got a video taken during a dive and really liked it. However, the housing was rather large. If the housings were similar in size, I think I might like video.

bosshogg357:
I recently got a video taken during a dive and really liked it. However, the housing was rather large. If the housings were similar in size, I think I might like video.
It really depends on you. I don't think anyone can tell you to "shoot video it's better" or shoot stills, they're better.

I enjoy them both. Stills are easier to share with friends.

It really all depends upon what you get from it. Some people like going around taking a photo of this fish, a photo of that fish and moving on to the next fish. I like the idea of spending quality time with the subject and prefer the video aspect of it. So it really comes down to personal preference and the only way you are going to find out is to do it. Perhaps rent a camera that video can take video also and see which one you prefer. I know cameras that video are totally different to dedicated video cameras but doing that will give you a better idea than asking us lot. :wink: Hope this helps.

You can always capture stills from video, they may not be as high quality.

It all depends on your ultimate goal. high quality stills or motion?

Land Locked:
You can always capture stills from video, they may not be as high quality.

It all depends on your ultimate goal. high quality stills or motion?
The stills from video pretty much suck - unless you're only going to use them on your computer.

howarde:
The stills from video pretty much suck - unless you're only going to use them on your computer.

That is why I said they are of less quality. Depends on the software you are using
for capture on the file size. If you want high quality stills, I would not use video.
A combination is what I prefer; if I want quality I go still; if I want maximum content
I go video.

I've got basic systems for both. Videos seem to take more time to edit and splice together, and require a fair amount of dedicated computer time. My non diving friends including my niece really seem to be more interested in video than in my stills. Capturing sounds is a potential benefit. Stills generally can be of higher image quality. They are easier to share with friends via email, and you can look at them without a video set up.

just my $0.02. went on a trip to Fiji. 10 folks, 8 taking pictures, 1 doing video (yours truly) - after 7 days and 2,000+ photos (and 1,980 pictures of fish butts) [ok, ok, most were newbies, but.....] most folks said they loved my video (which was actually pretty bad, it was 3 time doing it) because it really brought back the memories of what they experienced, not just what they saw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom