Vintage Diving Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frederic-dumas-1913 -1991.png

Dave V
Great vintage photo
When and where taken?
Who are the subjects?
(they look familiar)

SDM
Sam,

This was taken in 1961or '62 @ 40 Steps in Nahant, MA. It's my dad Paul Valleli on the left, Simone Aubry in the middle, and Ed Jameson on the left.

Glad you liked it!

Sam,

This was taken in 1961or '62 @ 40 Steps in Nahant, MA. It's my dad Paul Valleli on the left, Simone Aubry in the middle, and Ed Jameson on the left.

Glad you liked it!

DaveV, Today at 7:10 AM Report
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dave,
I recognized that the photo was taken some were on the east coast of the US by the rocks and "massive surf !"

I do not know your relationship with the people in the picture other than your father,

The picture of your father is a Dive Classic and should be cherished by you and your family and if all possible his image, in my estimation, should be isolated, reprinted on Photographic paper or the now popular Canvas and framed to be displayed in a place of honor.

The mouth piece dangling around your fathers neck is the Healthways adaptation of the Hope-Page mouth piece. Rory Page was a good and great friend of mine...we lived 2 blocks either N or S of each other but 10 blocks either W of N of each other...we were California neighbors ! We were also early LA County UW Instructors and both of us taught at the same place ...Small world !

Should you like to read about the history of the Hope Page my I suggest that you google Historical Diving Society and read my article " Hope Springs Eternal "

re your fathers equipment;

Yellow vest:
US Divers 1959 USD Catalog, Page 9
P# 7224 " Aqua Safe Life Jacket" $14,95

Yellow tank strap
US Divers 1960 USD Catalog, Page 7
P# 0812 Single Tank Block $80.00
(Tank block was a French term..No longer used)'
The tank block included a yellow tank, yellow straps and a removable band

In your father's hand
Swimaster UDT Duck Feet
P# 2F75 black
$ 12.95 Sizes 8-9 , 10-11& 12
$ 13.95 Supper X large

FYI......
We in California always purchased the Pure Gun rubber Supper XL Duck Foots and taped pieces of wet suit rubber inside the heal to adjust them to a some what comfortable size..(compare that with todays divers !)

I was an acquaintance with Arthur "Bud" or "Brownie Brown the designer and manufacture of the popular Duck Feet (aka " Ducks ") and extremely popular never equaled Wide View mask . His first location was in Laguna Canyon leading to the very popular and historically significant diving area Laguna beach.

About 1958 (or so) he moved 10 miles north to Huntington Beach.

As I recall about a year later he sold to Ken Norris who owned the successful Pacific Molder Products, with Harry Vetter (a dive buddy and still long term friend of 65 years who was a pioneer LA Co UW Instructor & NAUI instructor #4 ) as the product manager. This lasted for several years and Ken entered into a license agreement with Willard Voit who later created Swimaster as an exclusive Voit Product line.

Now you know...

It is comforting to meet a second generation diver -- you are so few in number. Our family as many in California are now on the third generation.

I am delighted that you posted the very historical picture of your father and dive buddies ..Hope fully he is still among the living ...Please extend to him my warmest regards...and invite him to post

Cheers from a hill in California over looking the blue Pacific Ocean

SAM MILLER, 111

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom