Question Vintage Scubapro Jetfins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sddan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was recently given a pair of Scubapro jet fins from the 70’s I think. They are pre lightning bolt. They seem fine and it would be really cool to try them out, the only problem is the top of the foot pockets are caved in a little.
I tried running them under some hot water to maybe soften up the rubber a bit but no such luck. Does anyone know of an easy way to possibly unbend these? If not, it’s fine because I’d rather not damage them. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Attachments

• 0D2873A2-1094-4069-957F-3F988B8D3B74.jpeg
    0D2873A2-1094-4069-957F-3F988B8D3B74.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 1498733C-436F-4BD3-8A22-1C55DE1882E6.jpeg
    1498733C-436F-4BD3-8A22-1C55DE1882E6.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 69
If the rubber is not perished then just use them until they tear out. Flex and stretch the rubber around the foot pockets and see if it is pliable or if there are tiny cracks and splits. If the rubber is soft and pliable with no cracks and splits or checking you may get some use from them. I have a pair nearly that old that I could still probably dive. Rubbing them with food grade silicone may restore some pliability but it will not undo the aging process of the rubber. There are plenty of (older) divers whose only piece of remaining original gear from when they were certified are their Jet Fins. But everything has a service life, I would caution against using them were loss of a fin could ruin a trip (that once in a lifetime dream vacation) or endanger you (shore dives with current).

James

Could you place a lead weight on top of that part and let it rest for a couple of weeks?
Gravity can do wonders.
- just an idea

I used a hair dryer on one and was able to slowly pull the rubber back up while it was soft. There are some cracks and splits on this part and it seems to be a different material than the rest of the fin. The fins as a whole are soft and pliable still, but the tops of the foot pockets seem to be a different type of rubber that’s bonded to the rest of the fin. Hopefully the picture shows the bond line and the two cracks.

I agree with not using them on any important dives. My plan was to bring them along the next time I went to the quarry and just try em out. But if they seem like they’re just going to fall apart with the first kick then I guess I’ll keep them as decoration or something.

Attachments

• CC41F3C5-9134-42CE-8B5A-989C8D560047.jpeg
    CC41F3C5-9134-42CE-8B5A-989C8D560047.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 65
I used a hair dryer on one and was able to slowly pull the rubber back up while it was soft. There are some cracks and splits on this part and it seems to be a different material than the rest of the fin. The fins as a whole are soft and pliable still, but the tops of the foot pockets seem to be a different type of rubber that’s bonded to the rest of the fin. Hopefully the picture shows the bond line and the two cracks.

I agree with not using them on any important dives. My plan was to bring them along the next time I went to the quarry and just try em out. But if they seem like they’re just going to fall apart with the first kick then I guess I’ll keep them as decoration or something.

The pockets are co-molded with a different, softer compound.

N

Sorry to say the cracking in the rubber indicates these are toast. They might last a dive or two but the buckles could pull out at any time. Kicking around with one fin or no fins is no fun.

I had a very early 70s pair that started to split, and they did indeed give up the ghost mid dive. I hated to trash them.

Unfortunately I agree with everyone. I saw another thread where the foot pocket was split down the entire side. I think that would be the likely case with these. Oh well, I’ll just have to get a new pair and pretend. The good thing with these are they haven’t changed much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom