Virginia Spearfishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Don!

I can't make it this weekend...this is honey-do weekend. But if the weather holds, next weekend Dive2Fish8 from Tidalfish.com and I might try to hook up. His name is Brett...I don't know if you know him, but he's been spearing in the Chesapeake for 8 years.

He just bagged a 13lb tog at CBBT 4 last weekend, plus 3 flounder, one of which went 25 1/4 inches!

This weekend would be ideal weatherwise, but the schedule is booked. :(

Let's coordinate a trip via Tidalfish on the Spearfishing forum.

Distraction once bubbled... Hey Don!

I can't make it this weekend...this is honey-do weekend. But if the weather holds, next weekend Dive2Fish8 from Tidalfish.com and I might try to hook up. His name is Brett...I don't know if you know him, but he's been spearing in the Chesapeake for 8 years.

He just bagged a 13lb tog at CBBT 4 last weekend, plus 3 flounder, one of which went 25 1/4 inches!

This weekend would be ideal weatherwise, but the schedule is booked. :(

Let's coordinate a trip via Tidalfish on the Spearfishing forum.
We'll see what we can do. I have a family commitment the weekend of 15 Nov, with a clear shot other than that.

I'm still going to try to get a group for this weekend.

Here's what I just got.

SAT
N WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. WAVES 3 TO 4 FEET.

SUN
E WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. WAVES 2 TO 3 FEET.

Sunday looks like it might be the best bet.

Whew. E 10-15 is still no fun. That makes for some serious pounding.

And I'm gonna have to throw the reality flag on the weatherman if they think E 10-15 is only going to raise 2-3 footers. :)

Distraction once bubbled... Whew. E 10-15 is still no fun. That makes for some serious pounding.

And I'm gonna have to throw the reality flag on the weatherman if they think E 10-15 is only going to raise 2-3 footers. :)
An east wind doesn't have as much fetch as a north wind, so the waves will be less.

I'm going on a 36 footer, so we can take some wind.

COASTAL MARINE FORECAST...CORRECTED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WAKEFIELD VA
745 AM EST WED NOV 5 2003

SAT
N WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. SEAS 5 TO 6 FEET.

SUN
N WINDS 20 TO 25 KT BECOMING NE 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 6 TO 7 FEET
SUBSIDING TO 4 FEET.

It's all a moot point now anyway. :(

36 footer! Nice!

And what's 'fetch'?

Yikes! If that holds, we're out of business.

Fetch is the amount of water the wind has to work on. Picture a big lake. The lee end of the lake will have bigger waves than the windward end.

While an east wind appears to have the whole ocean to work on, the Gulf Stream and the Labrador Current don't let that happen. It takes a heck of a storm to push big waves that way.

A west wind is even better since an entire continent is in the way. North and south winds work for miles and miles up and down the coast and can beat you to death. North wind seems to be the worst of all.

With an east or west wind I can also hide behind a CBBT island. A north wind gives me nowhere to hide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom