Virginia Spearfishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

I shot a 15+ lb tog on the artificial reef near the tower yesterday. Biggest one for me yet, still can't wipe the smile off.

Brutus

Brutus23 once bubbled... Hello,

I shot a 15+ lb tog on the artificial reef near the tower yesterday. Biggest one for me yet, still can't wipe the smile off.

Brutus
How much visability did you have out there?

The vis was very strange. On the wreck it was 2-4 feet, a couple of feet above the wreck you could see the bottom of the dive boat. It was like the wreck was in a fog bank or something. In the clear water above it there was a huge school of spadefish.
The temp was 64 degrees top to bottom.

Take care,
Brutus

I'm going to try to make it out to something this Saturday with Divers Unlimited out of Norfolk.

I suspect we'll end up at one of the islands if we can get out at all.

I was going to try Sunday as well, but a job came up. The shop will probably try to get out without me.

Brutus -

Way to go on the Tog...that's AWESOME!

Were you freediving or using tanks?

See anything else interesting down there?

I was using tanks. Haven't tried freediving yet, I was thinking about learning, have you tried it?
Take care,
Brutus

I've freedived around the CBBT islands, as well as using tanks. I had better luck free-diving around the islands, though I'm not sure if that has to do with the bubbles or not.

I used to spear alot at the islands with a pole spear and using tanks when I had my own boat. Since selling it haven't had a ride out to the islands. Always enjoyed the diving there.
Take care,
Brutus

Brutus -

Go to www.tidalfish.com, and one of their message boards is strictly for spearfishing & diving. That site caters mostly to the Chesapeake area, so it's a great place to meet local spearfishers on-line, and even hitch a ride! I've met two new friends who spear through that site, and learned a little about spearfishing in the lower Bay, and ocean around VA Beach.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom