Visuals and Hydros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eastwest

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have eight tanks needing hydros soon in Los Angeles and could use a recommendation or two . Since hydros seem to be a third party affair a lot of trust need to be with the scuba store . Like all o rings are not created equal , Parker rules in my sphere . good times Rumdumb

I have had while waiting for one air fill a $100 dollar charge no questions asked for a dubious reason. This being a tecky shop gave me back my tank after performing a visual and fill with a bulging o ring , not good , only for a catastrophic dive . This shop is no longer having me as their client . I wish to support my local dive store but have my own skin in the game . So looking for a good dive shop that I can trust with my life in the Los Angeles area . Hippydum California

Only trust yourself with your life.

Take your tanks to Open Water Habitat in Santa Ana. Tell Gary I sent you. They do all hydros and visuals in-house. They do all my vintage tanks. A 38 cu ft born 1944 just passed. 👀

I have a lot of tanks and only go to two shops in LA for hydro: Pacific Wilderness and Eco Dive Center. Never had any issues. Both charge less than 40 for a hydro + VIP + fill. PW has in-house hydro facilities, and ECO sends the tanks to Spectrum Gas every Thursday.

If you have 8 tanks, better buy a pack of valve orings online (should be quite cheap) and let the dive shop change them before the gas fill. I don't think hydro facilities really change your valve's oring.

Can't say universally, but any reputable VIP shop will change out the valve o-ring with every inspection. Part of the price. I tend to change it any time a valve is removed (like air travel with a pony bottle) but I may be overly obsessed with integrity of rubber things.

Back
Top Bottom