Volo vs. Jet Fins????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Volos. I use the frog kick most of the time (read 99%). Personally, I haven't had a problem getting the fins to work with a frog kick. They also work great during surface swims. I have weaker ankles/knees (tendonitis). The Volos are easy on them, very light, but i have no trouble keeping up with other divers.

I have both. I bought the Volo after using them in my OW course. Back then I thought that they were great fins. I'm still mostly of that opinion, but they are not exactly the right fins for me. Shortly after OW, I got introduced to DIR, Jet Fins, spring straps and the frog kick ...

IMO, the Jet Fins are far superior for frogging, they give more thrust (resulting in a longer glide phase) and much more control.

Well thanks for all the info.... one other thing though i have seen the old blaack rubber jets, and have also seen (not sure if they are JETS) different colored ones made of more plastic than rubber.... are these the same as hte old rubber ones....
Are they even jets...what is the diff??
Well i am TRYING to find somewhere where i can try them but am having trouble.

The only thing i am worried about is with the old balck rubber ones being too stiff or strenuos on my legs.

Someone else mentioned the quatros any advice or opinions on those

You guys are awsome...THANKS

OHyeah...in this thread most are against the splits.....someone mentioned twin jets, are they as bad as the rest??? Think i still want paddles though

I have only used aqualung blades, but I won a pair of volo powers in a raffle last weekend. Haven't had a chance to try them yet, gonna give them a shot tomorrow or the next day.

goodknight411:
I have the Volos. I use the frog kick most of the time (read 99%). Personally, I haven't had a problem getting the fins to work with a frog kick. They also work great during surface swims. I have weaker ankles/knees (tendonitis). The Volos are easy on them, very light, but i have no trouble keeping up with other divers.

I never said they don't work, they're just pathetic in comparison to jets. I don't mind putting a bit more effort in to actually get something out of my frog kick.

Jets can be found in other colours. Black is by far the most common. See if you can find a set of these to borrow and try them. This is really teh only way to determine if they're too strenuos or not.

Twin Jets are just another split fin. They are functionally all the same. People will defend them forever, saying they can frog kick... Well, why use something that you have to figure out how to make it work, sorta. Get the fin that's designed for what you do.

Volo's are definitely easier for surface swim, but to be honest, that's like buying a bcd with huge padded shoulder straps for the surface. Who cares. Buy the gear that works "under water". After all isn't that why we're diving? Jets work fine on surface swim, but definitely take more effort.

I bought scuba pro twin jet (i think thats what they are called?) split fins anyway, and im absolutely horrified at their performance, kick like mad and hardly moving. They are made of a soft compound and seem to "absorb" all my energy and I do a lot of beach dives with surf and surge, boo hoo!
Think I'll be getting myself some Volo power fins soon. :eyebrow:

I normally dive 2 or 3 weekends per month.
Before diving my knees were shot from injuries like hyper extensions and bike accidents.
After a few months of diving I felt like I had a new set of knees.
Your milage may vary.
I've used lots of different fins and Jets are my favorite.
I don't even like swapping them out for a dive with a buddy that wants to try them.

I never tried the Volo's, but from how it bends when divers kick with it (I see them a lot when helping out with OW classes) I don't think they will be good at all for frog kicks. Stiffer split fins (e.g. Atomic) should be better than that.

But, if you do frog kicks, nothing can beat the Jet fins. Maybe the Mares Quattros are good too, but I haven't tried them with the frog kick.

I've seen a number of Volos break at the joint. These fins were used hard, I'm sure, but these guys were in PNG with useless fins and no other options around. They had bummer dives in the currents there.

BCSean, you must not have used splits much. To say that they are all alike is like saying all paddle fins are alike. Some are floppy, some are very stiff. I spent 30 years in jet fins and switched to SP twin speeds (after trying three other splits) And loved them. I have outswum people in jets with them using much less effort. I do, almost exclusively, frog kicks. I've even used them in extreme currents with excellent results. And OH, I've used them in caves with good results there too.

Back
Top Bottom