Vote - BCD or Exposure Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go with BCD. Rental suit are ok but it's all about trim and buyoancy

If you really want to use all your own gear you can ship your wet suits or bcd to the hotel. May not be the most cost effective but you know it's your gear and your safe.

Heading to Mozambique (Benguerra, one of the Bazaruto archipelago islands) shortly for part of a multi purpose vacation. Will be diving 3 days. Water looks on the cool side of warm this time of year 75-80. Only allowed 20kg for ALL luggage. Since my usual tropical dive kit with all accessories (carry bags etc.) typically weighs almost that alone without considering additional exposure suit requirements so I don't get too cold, I am having to make some hard decisions. After culling all non-essentials I am left with a choice between bringing BCD or wetsuit(s) in order to stay on or under the requirement. My current leaning is taking the bcd because the life saving equipment aspect seems more important than the ick factor of wearing a rental wetsuit, additionally I don't have a full 5mm anyway which is what I think I would want so would need multiple layers to create same level of warmth (have confirmed dive op has 5mm full wetsuits). Obviously the bcd (transpac with travel wing) weighs more than the exposure suit (although probably not by much) and right now (with bcd in and wetsuit out) I am at 20kg exactly on my travel scale with a few adjustments I could make to give myself a little buffer. I have already ditched the obvious protective bags and mesh carry bags etc. that I would normally bring. So on the assumption that it has to be one or the other which would you choose?

I only need to consider this leg of the trip as will switch out dive gear for other clothes etc. on later legs and store the remainder.

Would it be possible to ship some of your equipment to its destination?

So on the assumption that it has to be one or the other which would you choose?

I only need to consider this leg of the trip as will switch out dive gear for other clothes etc. on later legs and store the remainder.

Assuming you are an easy fit for a BC and the BC is not your ultimate security blanket I'd bring the suit and rent the BC.

The mention of switching out gear does suggest the mentioned option of mailing enough to have it all.

The controls on BCs are pretty ubiquitous so for mild water diving in particular I would not get too hung up on the "life saving" benefit of total familiarity.

Pete

It depends on how easy you fit into regular wetsuits. It also depends on how comfortable you will be giving up your normal BC to dive a rental.

Personally I prefer my own BC to a rental. I have a back inflate BC and prefer that to jacket style rental BC's from just a comfort level. And since a BC can have an inherent buoyancy factor itself (i.e. how much weight do you need to offset the BC itself) I'm more comfortable guesstimating my weight with my own BC.

I always use a rash guard under my wetsuit anyways so I have at least something in between me and the wetsuit. It may not be much protection but is enough for me not to think too much about the ick factor of someone else having peed in the rental.

The real question is for you, what would you feel more comfortable taking? A wetsuit because you are hard to fit and would be more comfortable along with the ick factor of not worrying that someone else peed in the suit. Or, the comfort that you are in your own BC you are familiar with during your dive to avoid the squeeze a jacket BC would give you.

If it were me, I'd take my BC. If I could bring a skin or 1.5mm for "insurance", even better. Of course, on my first dive, Id be sure to do a proper weight check to ensure my buoyancy was dialed in with the rental wetsuit.

For me, it is more important to have the "muscle memory" of using my own BC. I know where the D rings are and I know where I clip certain things off, such as my camera, go pro, SMB/reel, maybe pony bottle, etc... Also, Ive seen how some rental gear is handled and maintained. No thank you. Not when it comes to my life safety systems. That's just me, though.

Back
Top Bottom