Waikiki and Kona Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceancat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi. I just got back from 12 days in Hawaii--unfortunately I had to work for 5 of them, but still better than staying at home! I did a total of 10 dives--6 with Kaimana Divers in Waikiki area of Oahu and 4 with Kona Diving Company in Kona. With Kaimana divers, I was disappointed. Maybe they were having a bad week? They are a very safe operation and know what they are doing. They will pick you up from your hotel too, which is awesome. My first day of diving was to the Corsair and a site very close to there--they had mentioned maybe doing some sea caverns or something like that, but instead we went to an area with mostly dead coral and a few turtles. Not sure why, as seas were pretty calm, but a lot of seasick people on the boat. Take your bonine before you dive! The second day, morning dives were excellent, although they don't have nitrox, nor was it explained to me how to go about getting nitrox from nearby shops. On deeper dives, I just prefer to dive with it. I wasn't terribly comfortable with a 29min surface interval, even though the second dive to Nautilus Reef was shallow. For the afternoon, I had signed up for shallow dives prior to my trip and got lumped in with a Discover Scuba class. I wasn't informed this was going to happen until my stuff was already on the boat and I was paying. I love to be in the water, so still did it, but spent the first 16 minutes of my dive circling the anchor line, getting really annoyed I was circling an anchor line as the student struggled with her descent. Not the student's fault and she did great once she did get down. The instructor was patient and supportive of her. However, I do not think one should be grouping people who have never been in the water before with experienced divers. The afternoon dives were also on a shared boat (they don't own boats, but charter them) and the second dive of the afternoon (the discover scuba person left and didn't do the dive) was the same dive as i did earlier in the day at Nautilus Reef. That was disappointing, as there are so many dive sites (and few out that afternoon). Then, 2/3 of the way through my dive, an instructor from a different shop on the boat dropped her diver off with our group. That changed the entire tenor of the dive. The whole afternoon was just weird. Although the am dives were OK to Amazing (Sea Tiger is a cool wreck), I would skip the afternoon dives. Stayed at the Doubletree because work paid for it. Wouldn't stay there for vacation.

On the Big Island, I dove with Kona Diving Company, which is one of the best dive ops I have ever been in the water with! I love looking at critters and their entire staff was super excited to see animals of all sorts. They were a very friendly group of people who love to dive. They have their own boat. It was a lot of fun. They are also relaxed in terms of bottom time--I got two 80+ minutes dives (they were shallow the second half of each dive and just awesome!). They do have nitrox. They would drop people off at the boat as they got low on gas and then we would continue our dive. Definitely if you are on the Big Island, do more than just the Manta Dive--it is so amazingly beautiful there. It was my first experience with Indo-Pacific fish (or the Hawaiian variants of them) and that was fantastic. The Manta dive was really really good. I didnt' think I would like being in a large group with so many divers (7 boats in the cove that night) sitting around trying to build up plankton with lights, but once the mantas come in... WOW. The one case where more divers is better. The shops all work together to make this happen and it is great to see that collaboration. Take video if you can. I have some stills, but my video is much better. Our boat got about 7 min at the end where it was just us with the mantas. Really neat. Stayed at Kona Riviera Villas --very reasonably priced--not fancy, but clean and very close to the ocean.

Aloha Oceancat!

Thanks so much for your review. I'm so glad that you see that our guides are working hard to make your experience a fun and safe one. I would like to address a few things:

Our afternoon boat has always been a mix of students, intros and certified divers. For folks who want to get 4 dives in on a day it is our only option. We try to do our best to group divers according to skill and often times have a blast but when intros do need a bit of extra time I agree it can be a bit of a waiting game....... but hey, you are underwater breathing which I have always thought is awesome!

Next we never promise to visit different dive sites and I'm sure on the day in question you might have noticed other dive boats out there. If they are moored up on the other sites then yes, it is on occasion possible to repeat. There are 5 main shallow dive sites on the south shore and more than 6 dives boats....... I know it's a bummer but I'm sure that if you explore a bit more the second time around you could see tons of critters you didn't see on first glance.

Finally, with regards to Nitrox I try to mention to all of our customers that they are welcome to dive it at any time on our charters. We cannot however arrange it for you. There are 2 shops very near to our townside harbor that offer it and guests in the past have taken their rental cars to and from those shops each day to pick up full ones and drop off their empties.

Since all of our dives are guided by PADI instructors we keep the profiles well within no deco limits. I agree that Nitrox can extend those bottom times a bunch but often times the short intervals are sufficient to get a nice long second dive even on air. Since we often times have folks who are prone to seasickenss and haven't experienced diving in Hawaii it is better to get those divers back in the water before they have a miserable ride hanging over the rail while everyone else dives the second tank.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope you enjoyed diving with us!

Mahalo,

Gabe @ Kaimana Divers

well written thread...a good review and response.

In response to Kaimana Diver's reply--first off, I was not told that the afternoon dive would be a mix of students and myself on the dive I paid for until I was on the boat. I did NOT feel KD was up front with me until the boat was about ready to leave. Just buyer beware...circling an anchor line waiting for a student when one didn't pay to be in a class is just lousy, particularly when you are somewhere beautiful and want to explore. Yes, I did explore where I was allowed to circle --I really got to know all the critters large and small around that anchor line! Probably there aren't a lot of fanatics out there like myself who relish in 4 dives in a day when I can get them, so it is a moot point for most. My point about returning to the same dive site is that if they were not on a huge shared catamaran, perhaps the captain would be more willing to be flexible with where he is mooring up--if I come back, I would choose a dive op with their own boat. There are pros and cons to that, but the plus for me is less chance of going to the same site twice in one day. The site we went to was one of the closest to the marina--a quick in and out for the captain. Also--now through this thread, I think the fact that one can get nitrox is known, I was just told it wasn't offered. I think if a diver wants to dive nitrox on an air profile on a 100+foot dive, it shouldn't be discouraged, particularly with a quick surface interval. Hindsight is 20/20 and I would have done it differently for the Waikiki part of my trip. Skip the afternoon dives unless you want to be not only on the same boat, but grouped in with students for your afternoon dives (I will admit I was the only non-student--which is why they should have told me Thurs. what was up--I would have probably would have done something else for the afternoon and saved the money).

Sorry to hear about the negative experience. It is a drag when you are in paradise and don't get to maximize the dive opportunities.

If I remember correctly, last time we were in HNL and needed tanks we used Breeze over near Leonard's Bakery. I think we got Nitrox. They were friendly and easy to trade with.

Thanks for the response OceanCat.....

Nitrox has always been tricky and yes, Breeze is a great option for divers looking to do their own Nitrox profiles. I will say that this has always been an option and I probably neglected to mention it because you didn't have a car. I can only imagine the looks a city bus driver or cab driver might give you if you tried to board with two 80cuft tanks of Nitrox..... hee hee.

On the particular afternoon you dived, Drew did his best to let you know that he was working with an intro and as you may already know an intro can go one of many ways. I have had them clear their ears in 3 seconds, do their skills in 3 minutes and be ready to dive a lovely long profile on a shallow reef with minimal instruction needed underwater. I have however had them go the opposite way.

I think your review is fair and just and recall your telling me you are a Dive Master. With your level of experience you are right, skipping the PM dive probably would have made more sense but you seemed very determined to get your 4 dives in one day. I'm sorry if you felt mislead about the purpose of the afternoon charter but it wasn't our intention to mislead you at all.

I will say that your AM dives should have been fantastic visiting both the wrecks of the Corsair and either the YO or Sea Tiger. Again, we do our best to get our folks out to the best sites we have on any given day. The point about the catamaran not wanting to stray far outside the harbor in not really the issue. We look up and down the south shore for a site that has good vis, light wind and mellow current. That particular reef has stunned me over the years with dolphins, a manta ray, tons of white tip reef sharks and even a Hawaiian Monk Seal just last spring:

Diving on Oahu: New experiences and new friends! | Latest Waikiki Scuba Dive ReportLatest Waikiki Scuba Dive Report

Again, I thank you for your review....... it helps us build our operation into a strong leader on Oahu and we are always listening to our customer's concerns. Scubaboard is a perfect vehicle for this and again I hope that my responses can bring some clarification to our operation. Again, I take full responsibility if you felt mislead in any way. I feel through our discussions out on the boat, over email and phone conversations that this was clearly defined but can see by your responses that it was not and for this I am sorry.

Mahalo again for diving with us......

Gabe @ Kaimana Divers

I may well have been one of the seasick people... I am always seasick the first day, maybe two. Never more than that. And it doesn't matter what I take. I routinely use meclizine or scopolamine. One day, maybe two (it was two on this trip) and I'm fine after that. I honestly don't recall if you were with us on one of our first two days or not. There was another gentleman (an instructor from California) who was sick on every single trip. Apparently (and sadly) this is normal for him, too, and no amount of medication ever stops him from being sea sick either. At least for me, it never takes more than a couple days...

I don't know (obviously) what specifically was said to you, but I saved all the emails I exchanged with Gabe while setting up our trip. When I asked about doing AM and PM dives, this is what he said:

Doing one or two tanks in the afternoon as you mentioned can only be done from our townside harbor. The dive sites are shallow and are generally good for intro or new divers....... something to consider. You may want to just stick with the AM boats.

So I'm pretty sure there was no intent to mislead you. Obviously miscommunications can happen though.

On a side note, I lost your card with your email address. If you'll shoot me a PM I'll zip up pictures and send them to you. :)

I am a loyal customer of KDC-Kerry and crew run a first class operation all the way and my ONLY choice when diving Kona...never had a bad trip with them. Glad you had some great dives with them as well.

Hi Gabe and Hi Drew!

Gabe, your guys are top-notch. I never got to meet you after having TONS of great conversations with you - it's very nice to get real replies from someone rather than canned responses from 3-5 different shop employees every time you ask a question.

Drew, your new friend from Miami who is your new DM (it was his 1st day) and your super cool diver girl (please tell me her name again) were all great. It was a real pleasure diving with you all and even your chartered captain was very nice and helped me stay easy going.

I thank you very much for taking me on my 1st ever OW dives after my May 5th certification. I will ceaselessly recommend you until and after you've bought your own boat and are operating a larger dive operation which you deserve.

Best,

Barrod

Back
Top Bottom