Walter Kiddie Tank???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The issue isn't ignorance, but that will make me take my business elsewhere. I have no use for a shop that doesn't know it's business. The issue is they want to sell tanks. They think that if they refuse to fill your tank, you will buy a new one.

DennisW:
The issue isn't ignorance, but that will make me take my business elsewhere. I have no use for a shop that doesn't know it's business. The issue is they want to sell tanks. They think that if they refuse to fill your tank, you will buy a new one.

I think you have a valid point with some (if not many) shops, however I would not fill 6351 tanks when I work for my LDS (durning the summer - when not at college) not for the sake of selling a tank, but for the sake of saving my hand. I understand that the risk is small, but I would rater take the risk cave diving :D than filling that tank.

DA Aquamaster:
Unfortunately because of hysteria, old information, ignorance of the effectiveness of current inspection protocols and, quite frankly, dive shops creating a potential market for new tanks by falsely condemning 6351 tanks in the name of safety, it is often hard in some areas to get a fill for any tank older than 1989 or so, whether it is a Walter Kidde, Luxfer or Catalina (which again has always used 6061-T6 alloy in it's tanks and never used 6351-T6 alloy at all, making SLC a non problem).

My thought is keep the Walter Kidde and find a better informed and/or more honest LDS. If they are ignorant or dishonest regarding tanks, it begs the question of what other areas of diving expertise or equipment may suffer from a similar ignorance or lack of character.

Just a point here, and I normally agree w/ your points...

Most shops make less than $30 on a Alum 80, not really worth it from the hassle of moving the things, throw in a boot and vip, first fill they become pretty much a service issue.

This is one area where greed has nothing to do with it.

I've cleaned the blood and hamburger off after a cylinder exploded and for the price of a new tank (less than 2 two tank dives) I for one would rather be safe then sorry.

So I would send one for hydro, even do a visual but the fill, nope. Wouldn't ask my staff to as well. i'd be Ok with letting the tanks owner fill it but my insurance company and OSHA if there was an problem wouldn't be OK at all.

Best,

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom