Want more battery life for your DC500?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The following suggestions do not include the great customer services one can expect from the Sea Life company, but if you'd like the ability to shoot more than 100 pics between rechargings, I hope you find this helpful...

The Sea Life DC500 comes with Battery: Lithium rechargeable included (3.7v, 650 mAh)

This is a spare 650 mAh battery for $30: If Placing an Order, PLEASE CALL 1-858-581-2800 or Visit WWW.UNREALFIND.COM

acc278.jpeg

This is a spare battery charger for $25 - power source not included; use the one that came with your camera: SeaLife Battery Charger for DC500 Batteries: at JoeDiverAmerica.com

SL15135.jpg

Now I bought that extra battery and charger when I got my camera, but I still hate changing batteries mid-day in case I happen to shoot more than 100 pics in a day - and I do; I'm a shoot shoot shoot kinda guy.

However...

I bought a 1200 mAh NP-900 Minolta battery that works fine for $6 + shipping at eBay Store - Baby-Battery: SONY, CANON, FUJI - shipping discounts on extra pieces...

np-900.jpg

And here is a NP-900 travel charger including 110v and 12v power sources for $7.87 plus shipping: Eforcity Casio NP-40 / Minolta NP-900 Compatible Battery Charger Set for Casio Exilim EX-Z30 / Exili - BCASNP40CS01 - Buy.com

np900charger2.jpg

Next question: will these work for DC600...?

It comes with a Battery: Lithium rechargeable included (3.7v, 625 mAh) but I'm not qualified to say it'd work. Edit: see discussion next few posts.

I don't think this would work for the DC800 as it comes with Battery: Lithium rechargeable included (5v, 1250 mAh) Edit: More info in next post...

Last edited:
The DC-800 battery is wider and longer than the DC-500 - so I don't think it will work. Besides, the DC-800 comes with a 1200 mAh battery - so there is no real gain.

The DC-800 battery is wider and longer than the DC-500 - so I don't think it will work. Besides, the DC-800 comes with a 1200 mAh battery - so there is no real gain.
The only possible gain is a spare - but with 1250 mAh, maybe not very important?

If it's different dimensions, tho - then that would be not good.

What about the above finds for the DC600?

Just by looking at the pics of the DC500 battery and charger, no. The DC600 will not be compatible, as the configuration of the contacts is not the same at all. You have 3 contact squares in row for the 500 battery, and the 600 has two, then some space, then the 3rd over at the other side. (I know NOTHING about battery stuff, but this one is obvious) I am all ears if you come up with another one, DandyDon, because I use up my battery in one dive every time!

mA refers to the charging rate

mAh refers to the amount of energy stored.

As long as the voltages are the same the lower mA charge rate just takes longer to supply the energy to fully charge the battery.

Example: In theory a 650 mA charger should charge a 1250 mAh battery in about 2 hours - while a 500 mA charger will take about 2.5 hours. In reality the charging time is longer, since the charger rating is based on the maximum rate it can supply to a fully discharged battery and the charge rate decreases as the battery gets more and more charge.

The 650 mA charge rate is about the same as the charger for the DC-600 or the 12v charger that SeaLife supplies (.6 A = 600 mA), but much less than the 3 A rating of the original DC-500 AC charger (will take 4.5 times as long to charge). Which why you need at least 2 batteries - 1 in the camera and one charging, so it is ready when you need/want it - and a third is not a bad idea.

Hope that helps :D:D

Know where I can sell 3 - 650 mAh batteries - now that I told all y'all about the great deal on the 1200....? :silly:

Mis Fic, you're right about the 600. The contacts dont line up, I checked mine just now. I wish they were compatible cuz I just got back from the pool....I was test shooting with it in complete darkness and i got 96 pictures and my battery light was at the last bar and red.
I need another battery before I go to PCB on the 31st.
Mike

Back
Top Bottom