Want to Fly U/W? Now you can!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can see a scuba tank inside it. See 49 seconds into the video.

It is pretty interesting. I would worry about someone making it to positive or to negative and rocketing up or sinking like a rock. Although, even with a scooter people who can't drive it do that.

From the website:

Its power is derived from the use of scuba tanks and weights so there is little that can go wrong and no real maintenance required.

Projects that start with this, usually do not end well.

You can see a scuba tank inside it. See 49 seconds into the video.

You need something to force the water out of the ballast tanks so that would make sense. What is the plan when you run out of air and your tanks are full? Drop it forever and rocket to the surface?

Although, even with a scooter people who can't drive it do that.

At least with scooters (DPV's), the person typically has flotation and air to breath.....that can keep them alive and float them and their investment (DPV) to the surface. When freediving, there is no such luck.

The big drawback to me is that this relies on changing buoyancy for propulsion, meaning you have to change depth to go forward. That might be cool to get the sensation of flying through the water, but it's not really ideal if you want to get to a specific spot and see something. I guess there's something to be said for being able to fly over a wreck or reef and get that perspective, but for me I enjoy the close inspection of the nooks and crannies and this would not allow that -- in fact it would just be in the way. So, I guess I see this as a novelty that would be cool to do a couple of times, but it would lose its charm very quickly. Maybe that's just me. Also, there's something about me that does not like the yo yo dive profile either, but that's probably just the RDP portion of my brain talking.

We're just having a little fun, your DiveGlider looks like it might be fun too. It's not a new concept, there have been any number of oceanographic instruments built on that concept and an underwater glider was featured in Scott Carpenter's novel, "Steel Albatross."

The inputs you have posted are very helpful in most cases,thanks and keep it up. I saw a fewquestions that should be addressed; like anything we do there are rules thatneed to be followed to be safe and Dive Gliding is no different. I want to be very clear on this point doingthis without proper training and support could easily be very dangerous, justlike driving your car around a mountain curve where the sign says 30mph and youwere doing a 100. Flying the glider asyou have seen on the video requires above average water skills, and there is a learningcurve, in fact every time I go out I am still learning. I should also say this is a big picture devicedue to its speed and range and the way it fly’s, it is not suitable for everythingbut definitely offers a new experience. Like any new experiences for some it will likely be the only way theywould ever want to dive again and other may try it once and never do it again,just like diving itself. The one thing Iam sure of is if you end up behind one you’re in for a ride like no other, I hope one day I get the chance to hear youlaughing when you first try it.

---------- Post added May 17th, 2012 at 05:28 PM ----------

You are right it’s not very handy when looking for the smallstuff, which I also love finding and photographing in fact on Statia I consider myself an expert on the little stuff here,have a look at my image gallery at goldenrockdive.com or come on down and Iwill show you myself. It’s all about theright tools for the right job. I am intalks with a film crew and we are discussing using the DiveGlider as a platformfor documenting Humpback Whales in the South Pacific, for example. It’s very interesting exploring what applicationswould benefit from the DiveGlides speed, range, durability, and above allsilent running.

---------- Post added May 17th, 2012 at 05:29 PM ----------

I agree, the idea of gliding has been done and I have spent alot of time studying what is out there, in fact at Wikipedia the term “UnderWater Glider’ refers to an autonomist scientific vehicle. They are expensive, very technical, and slowin most cases. None of them work the waythe DiveGlider uses scuba tanks and weights or have a pilot, and they are no FUN. I get the feel from your post you like thingslike me simple, easy and durable, right? Less is more!

Your last statement is very true Glenn.

This does look like it would be fun to try out. What feet per minute can you get out of this?

Back
Top Bottom