Wanted Wanted: Custom Divers Seeker Radar Detectable DSMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chipstix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am going on my first liveaboard in June to Egypt Red Sea (Aggressor 4 - Deep South)

I would like to upgrade my DSMB and like the functionality of the Custom Divers Seeker radar detectable DSMB. I realise the risk of boat seperation is hopefully low, but like the idea of this extra mitigation.

Unfortunately, Custom Divers have no stock, or plan to, due to issues obtaining the radar reflective material.

I am therefore asking if anyone has one of these they would like to either sell, or otherwise rent/loan to me for a week.

I am based in the South West, near Bristol but happy to cover insured postage etc.

Best, Chris

Attachments

• seeker-radar-detectable-smb-229-p.jpg
    seeker-radar-detectable-smb-229-p.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 29
DAN Europe sells SMB with radar strip directly. No clue how the shipping to UK works nowadays though:

(If you are a DAN member, log in to see members only pricing)

Thanks, but the DAN one only says "the radar reflector can be detected by radar within 500 m or .3 miles)." whereas the Custom Divers have tested theirs to 1.5miles on sea level and 2 miles from the air. Interesting blog:

Thanks, but the DAN one only says "the radar reflector can be detected by radar within 500 m or .3 miles)." whereas the Custom Divers have tested theirs to 1.5miles on sea level and 2 miles from the air. Interesting blog:

Ha that is interesting, seems a bit more engineered there. Curious if that is just strips inside or something more substantial.
Either way, if you want to be "noticed" in an emergency on choppy seas best invest in a PLB and a waterproof container for that.

Ha that is interesting, seems a bit more engineered there. Curious if that is just strips inside or something more substantial.
Either way, if you want to be "noticed" in an emergency on choppy seas best invest in a PLB and a waterproof container for that.

I would like a PLB1 but with various other kit and the holiday itself, not currently in a position to spend £300, though I do recognise the value they offer. I am only doing one dive holiday per year currently also.

Since none of them are actually publishing their radar cross sections (RSC) or performance in any actual scientific way, I'd consider any/all claims that they are "reflective" in any meaningful way as bogus marketing fluff.

Since none of them are actually publishing their radar cross sections (RSC) or performance in any actual scientific way, I'd consider any/all claims that they are "reflective" in any meaningful way as bogus marketing fluff.
I used to manage an RF engineering lab for a company that builds two-way radios, and there's a number of ways it could be reflective. enough copper tape inside of it, and it'll return a signal. you're right about the lack of actual RCS info though. That would also depend on the strength of the transmission hitting it too. Another thing that would impact it would be sea state. Radars aren't great at picking out small objects in rough seas.

Edit: i am not an RF engineer, i just ran the lab, so take that all with a grain of salt.

Sorry, this whole thread has sent me on a deep dive regarding this.
I found some info regarding the RCS of certain tapes, including specifically designed radar retro-reflective stuff.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but this is rather hijacking my thread! I wasn’t asking whether I should buy one I was asking if anyone had one they could loan to me or I could buy from them! :)

I have decided that based on the fact that I carry an SMB anyway and that it’s a manageable investment with no running costs then why not

Unless there’s some serious fabrication going on, this article seems fairly convincing to me in terms of what was tested and who was involved in testing it….

I would encourage you to read the link, is it fully scientific? Perhaps not. However as I say unless it’s completely fabricated lies (which I personally don’t believe it is) it does make for interesting reading.

Now back to the wanted post please? 😄

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom