Warning: travel insurance equipment coverage requires receipts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twistypencil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Reading the fine print of the DAN suggested travel insurance Sporting Equipment coverage, I found that unless you have receipts for your equipment, they will only reimburse you 75% of the value.

I don't know about you, but I'm not so much of a pack rat that I keep receipts for everything I buy, for life. That is a level of paperwork that is inhuman and borderline OCD.

I sort of understand why they might need that for auditing purposes, or to prevent fraud or something, but if I have a Zeagle F8 regulator that was lost in my baggage and I can prove it was there (I will be taking pictures and make a manifest of everything), its pretty easy to look up how much that is worth and reimburse me for the full price. If there is actual fraud of people proving they had equipment, but what... stealing it instead off buying it? that they need to ding except bonafide paper pack rats for 25% to cover that, then I'd like to see receipts for that!

The policy I buy (not DAN) has an add-on that would enable me to replace old with new. However, its cheaper to replace my kit every 5 years that pay the additional premium.

For me travel/dive insurance is to get medical treatment and return home if things go pear shaped. The cost of accommodation, diving etc would be spent anyway.

75% is more than you would get if you were trying to sell gear.

I don't know about you, but I'm not so much of a pack rat that I keep receipts for everything I buy, for life. That is a level of paperwork that is inhuman and borderline OCD.
I routinely have to keep track of dive equipment purchases of all sorts for tax purposes, much less for a potential loss -- and it's no big whoop to throw everything into a desktop file and / or a hanging folder; took all of ten seconds to open that cabinet and dump some paper receipts, the other day.

The prospect of getting fairly compensated for your pricey coverage -- remember that the definition of an "unnatural act," is for an insurance company to fairly pay its claim -- for potentially thousands of dollars in scuba and photographic gear, in the event of, say, theft, is worth the expenditure of a few kilocalories -- probably less than that of a single Altoid.

My desktop file is simply entitled, "DAVE'S CRAP" -- no muss, no fuss, with probably hundreds of receipts and invoices, going back a few years, to which I recently added some pricey Shearwater crap and even a spiffy-dabby new light mount for my old FFM.

Drag and drop; took seconds; I'm so tired . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom