Was I De-hydrated??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mrs Mares

Contributor
Reaction score
I have just come back from my honeymoon to the Maldives, and did several dives, I had only just passed my OW 2 weeks before going.
My check dive went ok, but the following morning we did a dive to 20m, and had been in the water for about 20 minutes when I got a headache. After a further 5 minutes I got cramp, and then felt really cold even though the water temperature was 32c/ 89f. I signalled to the DM and we ascended slowly, when I got to about 8m I began to feel really dizzy and light headed. At this point I broke the golden rule. I bolted for the surface, I do not remember anything after this, the next thing I was aware of was being held down by the DM who had his hand on my reg.
It took me a few days to build up the courage to go back in the water, but I am happy to say I managed it, and am currently doing my AOW course, although I am still not finding the diving experience very enjoyable as I am afraid that it could happen to me again. Can anyone tell me what went wrong, could this have been de-hydration.
Thanx all

Sounds like you might have had an episode of vertigo which can occur when both ears don't equalize simulaneously. Some times my ears don't equalize at the same time on descents and ascents which can lead to an episode of vertigo. This was quite disconcerting the first time it happened. Luckily I had my hand on the anchor line at the time. After I realized what happened, I am now prepared for it and have found that the feeling of dizziness will pass in the second or so it takes for my other ear to equalize.

Rickg

Some of the symptoms could be ear realted, but not all.

I'm thinking you were just a little ill when you started the dive. I've had times when I didn't feel bad, but didn't feel really good, and incurrec otherwise unexplained problems - including chilling in conditions that were not otherwise.

Did you also have one or more of the following?

Chest Pain
Difficulty breathing
hyperventilation
numbness/tingling in your extremities or lips
a feeling of impending danger or anxiety

sharpenu:
Did you also have one or more of the following?

Chest Pain
Difficulty breathing
hyperventilation
numbness/tingling in your extremities or lips
a feeling of impending danger or anxiety

Yes, i experienced difficulty breathing(feeling like i couldn't get enough air) I must also add that earlier in the evening,the night before the dive i had drank a bottle of champagne, and had a few coffee's. Foolishly i didn't drink any where near enough water.

Back
Top Bottom