Washington State Diver missing in Tahsis, BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vancouverdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Oh dear. Another missing diver.

Police search for a missing diver | CHEK

[h=1]Police search for a missing diver[/h] Posted By: Richard Konwickon: September 21, 2015In: News
RCMP search for a missing American man
RCMP are searching for a missing 70 year old Washington State man.
The man went missing while diving near Tahsis Sunday morning.
Police say the man was with a group of other divers and a guide when he failed to surface.
Two Coast Guard ships and an Armed Forces helicopter tried to located the missing man but were not successful.
RCMP divers are now trying to locate the man’s body.

Sorry to hear this-----any idea what the water specs(conditions) were???..........tia....AND-----70 sounds old----then I realized I'm only about 5+ years away....:(

Last edited:
... can't exactly say he's a friend, but I knew him (we were members of the same dive club). He's an avid diver, well experienced. The dive site is very remote, very deep (200+ feet), and intensely lovely. He was doing a deep dive, to photograph some gorgonian corals that don't even begin to show up till you're below recreational depths, and start getting interesting at about 160-170 feet. I don't know what his preparation for this dive was ... most do it on rebreathers or large doubles, using trimix. The floor of the site bottoms at about 210, and you can cross the channel and come up on the other side (incurring significant deco obligation). Currents can be significant ... even on small exchange days.

RIP Ken ... you'll be missed ... it's been a really bad year for PNW divers ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2015 at 06:28 PM ----------

W. Richland diver reported missing off Canadian coast | Tri-City Herald

Received word last night that Ken's body was found and recovered by an ROV brought to the site specifically for the purpose of locating him.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It took almost a year to find him? I take side-scan would have a difficult time in distinguishing a diver from corals and sponges or whatever else grows on the bottom there. Glad he came home though.

Back
Top Bottom