Water Gill At-PAC Buoyancy Comp.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have an At-Pac .. that I have been using since 1978 .. Still works like day one .. However I am trying to find the company or any supplier of parts/specs .. does any diver on the face of this planet still using or am I the only .. I have purchase other BC's but I always take it with me and use it over my new BC.

Do a search on Atpac there are several threads with lots of info maybe one of those will lead you to parts. Or talk to DAAquamaster I know he has one still.

DM

I had one many years ago. I sold it a while back to someone who used to work for the company, which he told me was now out of business. So I guess you'd have a hard time getting parts because of that.

He also told me that there was an issue with where the hose attached to the air bladder. Just FYI so you can inspect yours. Apparantly the hose seperated from the bladder at that connection point which caused several diving accidents and led to the downfall of the company. I think the "newer" BC's that had this problem fixed had a brass right-angle fitting instead of the plastic one, but I'm not 100% sure as I'm not an expert on the BC.

I don't know if this helps any, but hope it does...

-Mike

BlackScubaDiver:
I have an At-Pac .. that I have been using since 1978 .. Still works like day one .. However I am trying to find the company or any supplier of parts/specs .. does any diver on the face of this planet still using or am I the only .. I have purchase other BC's but I always take it with me and use it over my new BC.

Watergill started in the early seventies and later became Seapro. Bill Walters Sr was the inventor of back mounted weight integrated BCs. They finally went out of business in the mid to late eighties.

I was a retailer for them since 1977. My boss was the sales rep for them. He became the sales manager for Zeagle Systems when they got started in the early eighties. I am now his sales rep for Florida. Our store ran out of parts for Seapro BCs by about 1990.

What you liked about the At-Pac, you will likely find greatly improved upon in many Zeagle models.

Check out www.Zeagle.com

Chad

akscubainst:
Do a search on Atpac there are several threads with lots of info maybe one of those will lead you to parts. Or talk to DAAquamaster I know he has one still.

DM

scuba sciences in phoenix still uses at-packs for basic students.
They may have parts

Scuba 03 :wink:

BlackScubaDiver:
There is at laest two of us. Like you I have had many trouble free dives with my Atpac but just before Christmas the baldder burst on my early model redish orange outter skin model and am very keen to find a spare. I would be very greatfull if you could help. If you hav had any sucess. Thanks.

I also have an At-pac purchased in 1977. White plastic shell. I am just returning to diving and I am pleased to hear that there is still a place for the At-Pac. My rig is at the shop being cheked out as I write. Have you had any problem taking the equipment on dive charters?

It seems to me that I remember a time when you couldn't get near dive boat with one?

I am in the same fix as you. I have 2 Atpacs both in functional condition, however I need a new bladder and inflator parts for my second. I have found parts before on eBay w/ relative success and the sellers have knowledgeable. I searched yesterday and found 3 separate auctions.

Jt

Attachments

• IMAGE_00035.jpg
    IMAGE_00035.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 630
I also have an At-pac purchased in 1977. White plastic shell. I am just returning to diving and I am pleased to hear that there is still a place for the At-Pac. My rig is at the shop being cheked out as I write. Have you had any problem taking the equipment on dive charters?

It seems to me that I remember a time when you couldn't get near dive boat with one?

I have been diving various back inflate BCs, what are now called wings, since circa 1978 or earlier and yes there was a time when dive boats, especially in Florida, would give me a hard time over the "dangerous" back inflates. Supposedly because they would tilt you face forward and my retort was always that it was for neutral trim and was never intended to be a life jacket. Fell on deaf ears but now we see what has happened.

You may try the forums at Vintage Double Hose and Vintage Scuba Supply - Antique Diving Gear Two Hose Regulators and post a thread for info. Strictly speaking the AtPac is not vintage but there are several users of old "wing" technology including me though mine is not an AtPac. Dr. Sam Miller also hangs on vdh and may have some insight on them. Good luck.

I might also suggest you get an OxyCheq Mach V or DSS or DiveRite 30ish pound lift wing and a modern aluminum plate--if you thought the AtPac was good then you will be very much pleased with their accidental descendents.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom