Water in nose pocket normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea, 99% of my dives are in fresh water caves. Having saltwater in a mask might make me sneeze, which may add some natural anti-fog. but snot really what I want rolling around in there.

Bleh. I just threw up a little at the thought of snot floating around my face. :p

You want the mask to be dry everywhere. There's nothing worse than a mask that keeps flooding. The problem will only get worse in real dives.

Adam

Yep. That's what I figured. Thanks for the feedback.

Yea, 99% of my dives are in fresh water caves. Having saltwater in a mask might make me sneeze, which may add some natural anti-fog. but snot really what I want rolling around in there.

You want the mask to be dry everywhere. There's nothing worse than a mask that keeps flooding. The problem will only get worse in real dives.

Come on, you guys don't really believe this stuff, do you? :confused:

If having salt water in your mask might make you sneeze, are you really safe to dive with in the ocean? :rofl3:

Ocean water has; piss, poop, sperm, eggs, larva, embryos, plankton, krill and decomposing aquatic animal flesh, and all that is before you start considering runoff from land. :shocked2:

That said, humans have evolved to not be bothered by the vast majority of these; it snot a problem! :D

Salt water is only minimally different in salinity from our own tears. IMHO, most salt water eye stinging is self induced "mental" stinging; kind of a reverse placebo. :no:

I often have salt water in my mask; It snot a problem and it does not "get worse in real dives." :coffee:

halemanō;5907342:
I often have salt water in my mask; It snot a problem and it does not "get worse in real dives." :coffee:

For me, the amount of water in my nose pocket was too much of a distraction and I'm fairly sure an issue of a poorly fitting mask. I have a better fitting one and I'll see how that works out but I personally would prefer to not have as much water as I was experiencing during a dive. In my last dive (April) I didn't experience this and enjoyed my dive.

Thank you guys. Great feedback. In my case, I was trying out the mask without a regulator in mouth and still getting quite a bit of water in the nose pocket. I felt that was a good indicator that if I had a reg in mouth, I'd have a leaky mask.

I'm going to try out some other masks with your feedback in mind. Thank you. :)

1. Shave... :eyebrow:
2. Do not exhale through you nose (but someone had already mentioned it) :D

Seriously though, the mask maybe just too big on you?

I just did a dive with a new mask today It leaked like a seive. As stated above your face changes shape a little with a reg in your mouth. The issue for me was that the mask was too wide for my face shape.It JUST sealed around my temples in the shop but the slightest turn of the head and the seal was broken. So I guess now I'm "forced" to do another dive soon to try the better fitting replacement

1. Shave... :eyebrow:
2. Do not exhale through you nose (but someone had already mentioned it) :D

Seriously though, the mask maybe just too big on you?

hehe thanks for the tips. :wink:

The Atomic Subframe fit great at the store. Nice seal and great visibility. In the water, the lenses never filled with water at all, only the nose pocket. So I really just think it was a bad fit. It didn't seem too big.

hijax.......I'm having the exact same problem I'm on my sixth mask and looking for the seventh...........

hijax.......I'm having the exact same problem I'm on my sixth mask and looking for the seventh...........

I went with the Tusa Powerview which doesn't seem to have this issue for me, at least in the pool. I get a tiny bit of water but that clears very easily and seems pretty normal based on other masks i've used. Also, you may want to check out Mares liquid skin masks as they're supposed to provide more flexible silicon which may seal better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom