Water inside a BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tinman, thanks for the tip. that's a great idea. they certainly did not mention this in class, so I was a little unsure when water started coming out of my bcd.

Zebra mussels take flight...

As a Great Lakes diver, boater, and inland lake homeowner when the zebras hit it was a panic. Ban this, ban that, stop launching traveling bass boats...etc. But even secluded waters soon became infested...

Thanks to geese, duck and other traveling water fowl. It appears that the larva for zebra mussels can live for 7-9 days out of water. They will in fact infest every body of habitable water.

Actually now that we have had them for all these years, we are now cohabitating, although water inlets, etc, do need to be maintained. Also once perfect ship wrecks are now being attached to.

JCKCSYCMD once bubbled...
Thanks to geese, duck and other traveling water fowl. It appears that the larva for zebra mussels can live for 7-9 days out of water. They will in fact infest every body of habitable water.

So much for our diver precautions then. It would seem that the original panic has subsided although it would be good to hear from a ocean/lake biologist.

On the pro side of the ledger, the zebra mussels have done wonderful things for our inland lake viz, although all we tend to see underwater is zebra mussel covered stuff. It also seems, according to an instructor I work with, that certain species of fish have found a way to injest the zebra mussel and spit out the shell - he's seen it! We may get our viz and eat it too!

Back
Top Bottom