Water on the O-Ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OzeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I got my oly housing for my sp-350 yesterday and this arvo i was doing the 3 minute test thing in the bath and didn't notice any leaks...however... When I opened the case (forgot to do it the right way with door facing down) there was water on the O-ring?

Would this be a leak or is that normal? there was no water inside the housing.

Any help appreciated!

cheers jordan

Under pressure, even small ones, water occupies more then half of the main o-ring groove, as the o-ring gets pushed to the opposite corner and seals the housing.
This is noted on bigger housing by small bubbles coming out of the o-ring groove.
Every time you open the housing there is a little temperature variation from the moment you closed it, and this cause a pressure variation, so when oppening there is always a fast air movement (pop) that relocates all that water on the o-ring.
Since most of the time it is salt water, sand and biological debris from from the ocean, this explain the reason why you should reclean the o-ring in between dives if you open the main door.
If any of these debris relocate to a undesired position (it may be hidden under the o-ring), you may get a flood.
There should never be signal of larger quantity of water on the dry part of the housing thoug... with time you will learn to identify droplets of water on your camera caused by openning than real leaks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom