Water Temps and Underwear Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dry Suites are often referred to as Damp Suites.

I.E. you get a small leak past a seal or zipper. With polartec / Thinsulate or even wool, the dampness is tolerable, even though undesirable.

In my case, the cotton undies wicked up the dampness and were soaking wet, cold and uncomfortable. My legs and chest were slightly damp, not soaked and still warm.

OK, please educate me on this. Yes, cotton is to be avoided due to absorption (I suspect more of an issue with the upper body than legs). However, if you have a flood, then what does it matter? You now have a very expensive wet suit, and you're now cold. Get out of the water asap. I can't see continuing a dive with a leak .. even if it's "minor" .. if it causes you to be cold and uncomfortable.

Note that I'm not foregoing the normal thinsulate fleece .. I'm just adding a bit of extra under it.

Sometimes you have a significant decompression obligation and can't make a direct ascent to the surface.

Even when wet, high quality undergarments still retain some of their insulation properties. Cotton does not.

Dannobee - Thanks & yes.

This somehow morphed into a cotton discussion. My point was that if your thermals aren't quite up to the task (as mine turned out), it may be cheaper and easier just to don additional garments under those same thermals. Yes, I used cotton long johns and they were great. I will look for something else for next time. The rayon T shirt helped too. Thin as it was, it was still a noticeable improvement.

BTW, I found your web link with emergency phone numbers. An excellent list. Thanks!

Hi, can I tag along in this thread? I'm going diving in Monterey with Bamboo Reef this weekend and will be renting their gear (so a wetsuit). Any suggestions for things to wear underneath (or not)? I have a rash guard which is probably spandex/poly blended--will this help keep heat in or am I better off with my skin directly against the wetsuit? Thanks.

The only thing I remember about wearing a rash guard under a wetsuit in Monterey was that I got really cold after dives in the 30 seconds between the time I peeled down my wetsuit top and was able to yank off the freezing, wet rash guard. I only did this a few times before ditching the rash guard.

ggibson:

Dont' bother with a lycra/polartec/polyolefin undersuit. It won't provide any greater warmth. As far as the ease of donning a wetsuit, I didn't notice getting into a wetsuit any easier with them. I did find my polyolefin suit a bit more comfortable against my skin then the standard nylon lining. Wish suits would come with the plush interior as I found it very comfortable. Although, I haven't bothered using the polyolefin suit in a very long time.

Claude

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom