Water temps in Roatan ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems that all the airlines are putting weight restrictions on bags now (it's a new thing I guess). When we flew to Coz, they actually made us re-pack our bags so they were less than 50 lbs, or they were going to charge us like $100 per bag!!!!

FYI - we flew USA 3000 to Coz (the airline that made us repack our bags - good thing we had a boat bag we were able to use for that purpose). The airline was OK but the clerk we dealt with was a real biotch. She made us haul our stuff all the way back by the windows, repack, then haul it back up for her sovereign inspection. (Our friends were allowed to repack right at the check-in station - we were the only ones singled out.) When we questioned her on this, she said that the other clerks have "their way of doing things, and I have mine.". We are NOT going to go out of our way to fly that airline again, I tell ya.

Anyhow back to the point - even American is doing this weight limit thing now so WATCH IT. Call first & ask questions so you don't have to deal with the biotches of the sky.

As far as getting your luggage - my only advice is get there early, and if you have to change planes try to leave time to get your own bag & re-check it on the new plane. That's what our plan it, anyhow.

I purchased the SafeSea lotion through leisure pro, but I did also see it for sale at the AKR snack shop dockside. I figure if that is all you are ordering from LP, for the cost of the shipping you can just buy it there if you are going to AKR. If not, their website http://www.safesea.net has a listing of distributors I believe. Be aware that it does go on very thick, so if you are going to be using it daily on large areas of skin or plan to have more than one person using it, you might want more than one bottle.

As far as the luggage question, on TACA, the limit coming from the US is 2 check bags per person less than 70 lbs each. They also have a max dimension on the bags, so make sure you don't pack one huge bag at 65 lbs and get nailed for being oversized. As long as you are on a direct flight from Houston or Miami to Roatan, I would choose two smaller bags to avoid size or weight penalties...if you are transferring in Belize City or on Mainland Honduras, pick the single check bag and pray for luck on size and weight requirements. When we checked in in Houston, one of their two scales wasn't even working, and the other one was reading at least 5 pounds lighter than I knew my bag to be, so they don't appear to be checking real carefully on weight, but I did see a couple of bags with "oversize" tags on them when we got our bags in Roatan.

AggieDiver

Thanks for the info. I'l be sure to post a report when I get back. I find it difficult to concentrate on work knowing this time next week I will be 60 ft underwater.

Also just back from Roatan, I had water temperatures in the 82-84 F range. Because hour-long dives were the norm at AKR, almost everyone was using 3/2 full suits and those that didn't frequently mentioned being cold at the end of the dive.

Also, FYI, TSA Miami is screening very aggressively on luggage (not your carry-on, the bags you check in). I almost missed a plane as the screener went through every single article of clothing, every single container, etc. They initially were not going to allow all the insect repellant I had because it was an aerosol. Eventually, a manager confirmed that one can have up to 70 ounces of aerosol in one's checked luggage (and you can never have too much insect repellant in Roatan!).

And another FYI, on the return side of the trip, TACA does not allow any aerosols in your checked-in luggage, so either (a) shift to lotion insect repellants; (b) plan carefully; or (c) generously give unused aerosol insect repellant to someone else (other guests who thought one six oz. bottle would somehow last for 2 weeks, cleaning staff, etc.).

Watch for a trip report soon!

And have a great time in Roatan!

I just returned from Roatan this afternoon and wish I was still there. Dove at Fantasy Island. Water temp was usually 82 degrees and slightly warmer in shallows. I wore a 3/2 shortie. Other divers had .5 mil neoprene skins, 2 or 3 mil shorties, no exposure suit, 3/2 full and 3 mil full suits. I would say for the average person either a shortie or a thin neoprene skin would do the trick, even on a 1 hour dive. Most of my dives ran about an hour. If wearing a shortie be very careful as there is fire coral all over the place. I got hit twice on the arms. It burns like a bee sting until you get out of the water and pour vinegar on it.

On the Bay of Honduras side the water was rough, but the weather was beautiful and sunny. There was a strong westward current at many dive sites where there is usually no noticable current.

Thanks for the great advice. I'm headed to CCV in July, my first trip to Roatan. The waiting is the toughest part.

Tiger -
Staying at Fantasy Island next week? We are!! If you get a chance, come find us - Nikki and Tommy and Kevin and Andora and Stephanie and Rich - diving with Willie at the Fantasy Island starting on the 25th!! Hope to see you!

If you can swing it, ask to be on Derry's boat at FI. He is a good DM and not into the scuba police thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom