Waterman Skill Test- help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to swim. Best thing would be to take lessons, I was a good swimmer, or so I thought. I had the oppurtunity to train with some of the Coast Guard rescue swimmers and learned alot. Not only did my speed increase but I was not a fatigued and more comfortable.

secondly, the elementary backstroke is a good choice if you need to just complete laps without gear.

Hi Diver Dusty: I was faced with the same thing you were to become an instructor 10 years ago. I would jump in my olympic size pool to try and work out do a couple of laps and said "forget this" Then when I found I had to do that and more and at the time it was timed for PADi, I started working out in every hotel pool I stayed in as a road warrior and kept pushing myself in their pools, rather than go to the bar and drink beer. It's amazing what a regular training approach can do. I'm 62 now and am probably in the same shape as you. You post is going to make me go out and test myself, thanks, and thanks for coming to this site.

So far, I am swimming and pushing myself. I didn't mention but, I have a total knee replacement and for some reason the side stroke is the most comfortable. The crawl is the most difficult for me. Although the flutter kick is the same kick I use in SCUBA, the impact at the surface is different. I suppose the main thing I need to do is build up my stamina. Thanks for the comments. Anything of help is greatly appreciated. There was a thread a year or two ago about diving with knee replacement. My Dr. thinks it's great. I have found no reason to NOT do it. Right now this surface swimming without fins, mask or any gear seems daunting. <grin>

Thanks, JC. I work out at the gym 3 times a week. I have some cardiovascular stamina, but not the kind that can endure a 400 m swim. I will try to work up to it. The other tests I should be able to do. It was only a couple years ago I did the DiveCon trainig and I am proficient in SCUBA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom